Kehlani Coming to Eugene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Who’s the first artist you think of when the words sweet, sexy, even savage, come to mind?  If you hadn’t already been thinking of Kehlani, then you are now. How fitting that this badass R&B goddess has named her newest album “SWEETSEXYSAVAGE.” 

Kehlani made a jumpstart in the music industry in 2014 when she released her mixtape “Cloud 19.” At only 19 years old (damn, girl) she released the record, I definitely know you’ve heard, “You Should Be Here.” This song escalated her musical style into the Spotify and iTunes playlists of soon-to-be devoted fans. In fact, she reached #5 on Billboard’s Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums, #1 on the iTunes top R&B Albums Chart and grabbed a 2016 Grammy Award Nomination. (SAY WHAT?!)

Kehlani took that nomination all the way to the songwriting bank where she cranked out “SWEETSEXYSAVAGE.” While making a banger of an album, Kehlani got the opportunity to collaborate with G-Eazy, Chance the Rapper, Zayn and Post Malone.

Her new album embodies ‘good vibes.’ By that, she means this album is everything that is good and vibrant in her life now. Kehlani said that she, “didn’t want to make an album based on the dark times I went through…I decided to leave all of that behind…When people hear SWEETSEXYSAVAGE, I want them to dance, have fun, and enjoy it. That’s the vibe.”

All I can say is slay, Kehlani, slay. Her soulful yet incredibly raw passion is demonstrated in each track of her new album. Songs about love, real love, are truthful and unapologetic; and seriously, this type of honesty is something to be praised.  Even one of her most popular songs, “CRZY” starts out; “Everything I do. I do it with a passion.” Then, the chorus is kicked up until you and your friends are grooving on the dance floor. If you haven’t broken a dance sweat by this point, then “Advice” and “Do U Dirty” will officially achieve your cardio or Fitbit goals.

Are you not 100% convinced of Kehlani’s undeniable talent yet? You’re in luck! Kehlani will be performing at WOW Hall in Eugene on Friday, April 28th at 7pm. Get your tickets now, and in the meantime feel free to play her on repeat. It’s highly recommended.  

The official Her Campus Oregon account