How to Survive Being Home for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

After experiencing the freedom you get when you go away to college, its always a bit of a shock to come home and be thrown back into living with your parents: curfews, no friends over past a certain hour, and keeping the noise down are not something you usually have to worry about. But now they’re at the top of your list. While it may seem like a drag to have to be home with restrictions for a month, there are things you can do to make your time at home feel less trapped.

Show your parents that you’ve grown up

When back at home for Christmas break its easy to fall into old patters. Acting like a high schooler again will only make your parents want to treat you like one. Instead, act like the mature grownup that you are becoming. Offer to make dinner for the family once a week. Make sure you pick up after yourself. Keep you room tidy. Do your own laundry. All these things will show your parents that you’ve matured while you’ve been away and are capable of acting like an adult. The more you appear to be one, the more they’re going to respect you and treat you like one.

Make a playlist that reminds you of school

Music is a great way to get a mini “escape.” When you’re feeling down or need a minute to yourself, turn to your favorite songs that you listen to at school. They could be songs you listen to while you get ready, your go-to pregame mix, or the one you turn to when walking to class. Taking 20 minutes to yourself for a little “me time” will not only help you relax, but bring up some good memories putting you in a better mood all day!

Get a month gym membership

Lots of gyms offer one-month memberships around the holidays for people to try out, especially for students. By getting yourself a gym membership while you’re home, you give yourself the opportunity to release some steam when necessary. Head there every time you’re bored, lonely, or just need a good calorie burning session.

The holidays are about being together, and by giving yourself little ways to escape while you’re stuck home for the holidays you’ll be able to be more grateful for the chance to spend time with your family. 

Maggie is a senior at the University of Oregon pursuing a degree in Public Relations and Communications through the School of Journalism. She enjoys hanging out with her friends, laying by the pool or on the beach, and traveling. Her favorite city in the world is Paris and she hopes to go back after graduation. Follow her on twitter at @mahilty
The official Her Campus Oregon account