This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

If you’re anything like me then you put your hair through a lot. Between washing, braiding, and using a flat iron, your hair can really take a hit. Fortunately, there are several small changes you can make to keep your hair looking strong and healthy. Katie Tackett, hairstylist in New York City, shared some of her favorite hair care tips with me.

Deep Condition

Washing your hair every day can cause it to look dry. Your scalp needs the natural oils that your body produces and shampooing combats this. There are a couple easy ways you can deep condition your hair from home.

1. Get your hair damp in the shower and only apply conditioner, focusing on the ends, and rinse it out normally.

2. Get your hair damp and apply coconut oil, focusing on the ends. If you have dry hair then you can also apply the oil to your roots. Let the treatment sit for at least ten minutes then shampoo and condition your hair normally.

Katie recommends doing one of these treatments once a week. “Coconut oil is all natural and really good for your hair, but you shouldn’t use it excessively because it will defeat the purpose.”

Minimize Heat

Letting your hair air-dry is always a good idea but sometimes a hairdryer and flat iron are needed to get the look you want. The ends of your hair get the most damaged from using heat. “Your roots are new, healthy growth and your ends are the oldest part of your hair that need the most protection. Your ends go through the most, whether it’s putting your hair up in a pony tail or using styling tools,” says Katie.

It’s important to always use a heat protectant before styling and if using a flat iron, try to only make one pass through each section of hair. “Medium heat is the best way to go because if your hair is fragile, you don’t want to overdo it,” Katie suggests.

Use a Heat Concentrator

A heat concentrator is an attachment that comes with every hairdryer. When you don’t use the heat concentrator the regular opening of your hairdryer will allow the hot coils to touch your hair, which can cause burning. Needless to say, you should use a heat concentrator every time you dry your hair. “Your hair is very fragile and touching it with the hot coils over and over again is going to cause damage,” says Katie.

This attachment will also help your hair dry faster, preventing further damage. Katie recommends blow-drying hair without a brush until 75% of the moisture is gone, then style as usual. Your hair is stronger when it’s dry and waiting to use a brush will keep your ends from breaking.

You don’t need to ditch your flat iron or deal with funky air-dried hair to keep your locks healthy. These simple tips can make a big difference in the overall strength of your hair, so try them out!

The official Her Campus Oregon account