How to Deal with Exam Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

When it comes to college, midterms and finals are inevitable. 

These hellish weeks can be a total nightmare, and leave you feeling completely exhausted. 

Although you may be prepared to rip your hair out, don’t panic! 

Here are a few simple tips to find some peace and clarity within all the exam stress:

1. Stay Focused: Good old procrastination can stand in the way of any college student. Sure, the Law and Order marathon on TV is tempting, but it won’t help you prepare for that intimidating biology midterm. Putting off the problem for too long is never a good idea, and your lurking test anxiety will only grow if avoided. Therefore, knowing exactly what to expect on a test beforehand may set your mind at ease. Whether this means writing your study to-do list in a planner or jotting it down in your phone, being organized is crucial to your success. Prioritizing your workload will keep you on track, and most importantly, prevent insanity.

2. Sleep: Guzzling cups of coffee will only help you study for so long. Eventually your body craves sleep. While you may tell yourself that an all-nighter is what it takes to pass the exam, don’t overdo it. Our minds need enough rest to recharge for the next day! Why walk into class feeling like a zombie? If you’re about to collapse from hours of studying, then perhaps it’s time to put down the books.

3. Exercise: Hunched shoulders, strained eyes, and a sore butt from continuously sitting in a chair are all signs of midterms/finals week. This means it’s time to get up and move! Take a short break (but don’t forget to return afterwards). Go to a 50-minute yoga class at the rec. center, jog around campus, or blast some music and dance wildly. Simply do something during your lengthy study session that will get you on your feet.

Hi, my name is Claire! I'm a sophomore at UO, and loving every minute of it! I enjoy photography, dance, and travelling to new places around the world.