Her Campus Profile: Izzy Ospina

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Her Campus Profile: Izzy Ospina

Major: Architecture

Year in School: Freshman

Hometown: Ventura, California

HC: What drove you to move over 850 miles from your home in SoCal?

IO: I always envisioned moving to the Northwest, plus all the Californian schools with architecture programs like Berkeley, Cal Poly, and UCLA were too prestigious for me.

HC: What things from home do you miss more than you thought you would?

IO: I miss the beach and the sand and wearing summer clothes. People expect me to be a surfer since the beach was a five minute walk from my house but I like to kind of just swim in the ocean and sunbathe.

HC: Do you feel that local Oregonians stereotype you being from California?

IO: Some people think I’m from Oregon because I don’t fit the California girl stereotype, but I’m not even from the valley.

HC: What is your favorite thing you’ve done in Eugene so far?

IO: I’ve loved the sunny weather on campus recently. When the sun’s out I’m out.

HC: Why did you pick the architecture school?

IO: [Architecture] is complex. You have to know a lot about everything–people, the environment etc. I want to make people’s lives more efficient through design. Plus, I love lines.

HC: What’s it like living in the Academic Residential Community for Ecological Leaders?

IO: I feel lucky to be in this ARC, we’re all very alike. The camping trip we did the week before we moved in was awesome and where I met most of the friends that I hang out with. We kayaked in two estuaries before we ate lunch on an island that had apples trees, 10/10 would recommend.

HC: What are some of your daily passions?

IO: Honestly I enjoy taking breaks from school work like jamming out in my room or since I got my Ipad pro, doing Ipad things. I’ve been using the Ipad pencil, which I can take notes with and it allows me to draw like I would with a pencil.

HC: What’s your go-to Netflix category?

IO: I would say it’s documentaries or what Netflix recommends me.

HC: What’s does Netflix recommend to you?

IO: Random philosophical or scientific films. I like abstract “what just happened” movies, or movies that challenge my thoughts. Weird endings are the best.

HC: Is there anything you’re looking forward to accomplishing in your next four years?

IO: Just as of last night–this is going to sound crazy–but I’m thinking of dropping out. I’m paying for college through loans, and I just got overwhelmed with how much money I’m going to owe. I think there’s a more efficient way to reach what I want. I’m a pretty rational person but I’m willing to take the risk if that’s what I want to do.  

HC: What music do you listen to as you walk to class?

IO: I usually don’t have headphones when I’m out and about because I like being there and listening to others. In my room I listen to a lot of jazz; brazilian jazz, jazztronica. I’m also really into this band, Chicano Batman.

HC: If your life had a soundtrack what would it be?

IO: Definitely classical

The official Her Campus Oregon account