Healthy Eating During the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

As the days get colder and the sun sets faster, it’s no surprise that winter is approaching. With the arrival of the much-anticipated red cups at Starbucks, the holiday season is in full effect. Bundled in a coat and scarf, that summer diet and bikini-ready body seem like a lifetime away and the temptation to give in to the holidays and worry about being healthy later is ever present. So much of what builds excitement for the holidays are the seasonal foods and beverages which indicate that it’s time to celebrate. But to avoid yet another New Year’s resolution to drop some pounds in time for shorts season, a daily peppermint mocha probably isn’t the best idea. However, this doesn’t mean completely missing out on holiday treats to stay healthy. Aside from the “everything in moderation” motto, here are some healthful tips to make the holidays sweet without the regret:

Try homemade beverages: With photos of pumpkin spice lattes all over Instagram the drinks are hard to resist, but there are many online recipes that taste just as good without the calories. Dress size aside, this a fun way to get into the spirit with friends and family. For those who crave that Starbucks taste, try a Starbucks Via packet that is simple to make, and surprisingly healthier than a fresh brewed cup in the store. Buy in bulk, and have the extra bonus of saving money to spend on Christmas gifts.

Plan what you are going to eat ahead of time: From Thanksgiving to holiday parties, it is a known fact that there will be food and there will be a lot of it. It is much harder to resist treats without a game plan. Before attending,, come up with a reasonable limit for yourself; that way, you will end up having one gingerbread cookie, instead of five and a piece of pie.

Save it for later: Bake sales and baking parties can be dangerous territories during the holidays, but they don’t have to be. Use the “plan what you eat ahead of time” rule, and whatever treats are still calling your name can be saved for another time. This is a great way to keep it under control and reward yourself with the leftovers throughout the week.

Create incentive: Mentality is key. Don’t think of treats as things that are deserved, but rather things that are earned. The holiday season is a busy time for everyone, and life can get stressful fast. With all that stress, it’s easy to think you deserve the whole tin of Christmas cookies or extra whip on your peppermint mocha. Instead, try creating goals for yourself. For example, after wrapping a certain amount of gifts, allow yourself a treat of your choice for a reward. Not only will this keep the calories down, but it will also lead to a more productive and happier you.

Photo by Soulful Spoon