Happy Little Mistakes: Bob Ross as Self-Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

While I sat in my bed Friday evening feeling stressed, overstimulated, and with far too many noises bombarding me, I plugged my headphones into my laptop and turned on Netflix. The discovery I made there, one of the best I’ve ever made, was Bob Ross. The gentle voice of this calm, happy man subsided all my worries, and I was amazed. As he created “happy rocks”, landscapes, and seascapes with seemingly little effort, I realized that Bob Ross had become my ultimate self-care. 

Bob Ross captured the hearts of many through his TV show many years ago, but for a while, we couldn’t access his wonderfully cheerful and positive painting tips. Netflix recently added a few seasons of his show, bringing this joy into the lives of a whole new generation. Bob Ross gives a step-by-step guide to painting techniques, but in the most interesting way possible. Through his soothing voice, the personification of his subject matter, and life advice sprinkled within the instruction, he creates content not only for those trying to learn, but for those trying to enjoy nature, enjoy art, and feel calm. Throughout the show, Bob gives hundreds of positive, affirming words. Hopefully his words can help you, too. Whether you’re feeling stressed, overwhelmed, of just need to relax, Bob Ross is there for you.

Here are some of the wonderfully affirming and loving quotes I’ve enjoyed from Bob’s show “The joy of painting”

1. “Trees are life people, some are tall some are short, some are heavy some are thin, the painting becomes a world on its own” 
  2. “We don’t make mistakes, just happy little accidents.”
  3. “There’s nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend.”
  4. “I guess I’m a little weird. I like to talk to trees and animals. That’s okay though; I have more fun than most people.”
  5. “The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe you can do strong enough, you can do. Anything. As long as you believe.”
  6. “Believe that you can do it cause you can do it.”
  7. “You need the dark in order to show the light.”
  8. “Look around. Look at what we have. Beauty is everywhere—you only have to look to see it.”
  9. “The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe you can do strong enough, you can do. Anything. As long as you believe.”

The official Her Campus Oregon account