This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

November is here and fall is in full swing! We all know what that means… Thanksgiving is right around the corner. Traditionally the holiday is a time when you get to relax, eat some turkey, and spend quality time with your family! However, many of us collegiettes are far away from home here in Eugene and won’t be able to make the journey back for the four day break.

Initially, you may be a little upset that you won’t be able to visit with relatives and participate in all of your family’s traditions, but let’s think about it this way: if you’re staying in Eugene for the break, this year will be a perfect opportunity to start new traditions! And what better way to celebrate your first holiday as a big girl than with your closest friends? Turns out many out of state students stay in the area for the holiday. Like my mom used to say, “A group of misfits always calls for a celebration.” Keep reading to find out how to have a wonderful Friendsgiving.

1. Keep an open mind

Every family and person celebrates the holiday differently. Chances are you and your friends all have very different Thanksgiving traditions, and that’s okay. Friendsgiving is an opportunity to bring different perspectives together relax with the people in Eugene you care about most.

2. Bake a pie! (or other sweet treat)

Really, what brings people together better than dessert? Whether you use Grandma’s secret recipe or a new one from Pinterest, I’m sure your friends will appreciate your efforts!

3. Make it a potluck

If every person brings one food item, then every person is guaranteed one dish that they’ll enjoy! The easiest way to set up the potluck is to have the host make the turkey (or whichever main dish you choose) and everyone else brings a side dish, dessert, or beverage.

*Tip: if you can’t think of anything to bring, check the champagne aisle!

4. Make a playlist

Designate someone to make a playlist for the gathering. We all know how repetitive the Christmas Pandora station can get.

5. Talk about what you’re thankful for!

Sometimes you need to be a little basic. Don’t lose sight of what the holiday is really about – recognizing what you’re thankful for. The cheesier the better!

Happy holidays!

University of Oregon student taking everything as inspiration.