Fathoms: The Most Underrated Bar on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

We are all broke and stressed, and when the weekend comes, we all want to party. Most under 21ers spend their nights crawling from house party to house party, but once you reach the holy grail of ages – 21 – you crawl from happy hour to happy hour. When most people think of campus bars, they forget to mention Fathoms, located underneath Pegasus Pizza on the corner of 14th and Alder Street, but it is definitely a major stop along that crawl! 

Fathoms is so hidden that people just assume nothing lies in the basement of Pegasus. Well, they are definitely wrong. Literally a block away from the library and kitty-corner to the PLC parking lot, it’s so close to campus that it’s kind of surprising how quiet it is so much of the time. While I’m thankful for the quiet, my favorite part about Fathoms is the specials. Give me beer and pizza, and I’m a happy camper.

Every Monday and Tuesday, you can get an 8” two-topping mini pizza and a domestic beer for $4.99 or $5.99 for a microbrew. This only lasts from 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., but don’t worry: once 8:30 hits, you can get $1.50 wells and domestic beers until 10 p.m. daily. For all you under 21ers, a well is a drink using cheap liquor, which is why bars can afford to offer $1.50 drinks. So think about it: if you show up at 8 p.m., order a pizza and beer, then order a drink at 8:30, you only would have spent around $6.50! WHAT?! That insane deal is the reason why my friends and I hit up Fathoms for dinner on Monday nights and drinks on Friday nights. 

However, a word of caution: during happy hours, I would definitely get there with a little time to spare. The bar can get a little packed, especially on the weekends, and the bartender kind of avoids you unless you’re a regular. Whenever it’s slow, Oliver is super nice, but get a good flow of people in there, and he won’t make eye contact with you. My advice?  When you get to the bar, order more than one drink, so that you can take full advantage of the specials.

Another huge perk about Fathoms is the $1.75 cheese and pepperoni slices Wednesday through Saturday from 10 p.m. to 12 p.m. Keep in mind that all this pizza is coming directly from Pegasus, so you can’t go wrong.  

Overall, the laidback atmosphere at Fathoms definitely projects more of a sports bar feel then other campus bars. With its four TVs, it is a perfect place to grab a drink and watch the Lakers game (yes, I am from California – you caught me!). So watch out for the occasional noisy cheering. The pool table in the back is also always fun, crowded with people having a good time. (I personally can never figure out how to hit a cue without it flying off the table!)

One downside is that that you have to walk upstairs to Pegasus to use the bathroom, which can be challenging after a few $1.50 drinks, if you wear heels out like I do. However, it’s a minor price to pay for the convenience you get with Fathoms. Its great location, specials, food, and atmosphere make it the perfect place for an easy night out with friends. 

All in all, I have never been disappointed in Fathoms, except for maybe the service, but when I can get a drink for $1.50 a pop on my limited college budget, I don’t know if I really care. So if you are looking for a casual night to just sit and have a few drinks with your friends, without having to battle insane lines at the bar, then Fathoms is your place. Go check it out, and hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised like I was. If you’re not 21 yet, then I guess you will have to take my word for it.  

A University of Oregon junior and San Francisco native, Charmaine Ng loves authentic noodle dishes and will always opt for Asian and Italian cuisine when pressed to choose a restaurant. She is a self-proclaimed "noodler," someone who uses her noodle to collaborate with others and bring big ideas to life. She interns for a student-run full-service ad agency, blogs for a wedding and event planning company, and runs the UO Muggle Quidditch League. In her spare time, she sleeps, and sleeps, and sleeps - and dabbles in social media and blogging, her two biggest passions. Her quirkiness isn't apparent at first, but then she starts talking about packaging design and making funny faces, and you wonder what happened to that shy Asian girl you first met. With ambition bursting beyond the campus walls, Charmaine can't wait to graduate and work for an agency, company, or publication in community outreach efforts using social media.