This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Loss is never an easy thing to deal with. Whether it’s loss in a physical, mental or emotional sense; losing someone who was once an important part of your life takes time to heal from. I recently experienced a feeling I didn’t know was possible because I lost somebody, and, to be honest, the only thing that is getting me through is talking about it. 

Related: How To Deal With Grief So It Doesn’t Deal With You

Everyone feels sympathy for someone when they get broken up with or have a loved one pass away, but the fact of the matter is that there’s never a more intense wake up call than when you lose someone and, in turn, lose yourself. I still don’t really know how to process it, and I think that’s okay because I’m coping in my own way.

At this point, the best advice I can give to anyone experiencing the worst kind of heartbreak, through break up or death, is that you just have to keep moving. There are days when you will want to give in, stay in bed and not speak, but moving forward and pushing yourself to do the little things can make the biggest difference. Some days you might make it to class or the gym and other days you might just make it to the shower. No matter how big your steps are, just keep taking them.

The longer you hold on the closer you are to feeling okay. I’ve experienced great heartbreak and loss in my past one other time, and I just fell apart. But I kept trying to feel happy–forcing smiles, going out with friends, laughing to keep from crying, and, one day, I felt okay again. I started to laugh genuinely and go out because I wanted to not to occupy my mind from my own thoughts. 

One day, you wake up and the sun shines a little brighter, the music sounds a little louder and you feel a little bit better. Day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute is the only way to handle loss of any kind. Depend on your friends and family, allow yourself to feel and don’t forget about what you still have in your life. 

The official Her Campus Oregon account