Crossfit: The Best Way to Workout Ever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

One early morning freshmen year, my sister called me. I groggily answered, and our conversation went like this:

Me: Henghlrlloo? (I’m not completely coherent in the morning)

Sister: Come to Crossfit!

Me: Mrghhhh. What’s that?

Sister: It’s this workout thing where you run and lift weights and do pullups and you’ll love it!!

Me: …bed?

Sister: I’m picking you up in ten minutes!!

Hence, my first Crossfit training was a rather reluctant surprise. Sipping on coffee (my sister knows how to bribe me), the class of about ten other people and I listened to our coach go over the movements we were going to use in the workout. Gradually becoming more caffeinated, we started the workout. Just ten minutes later, I was laying in a puddle of my own sweat, not quite sure what had just happened.

I wasn’t knocked out by a flying weight vest, I was just keeled over from the hardest, best, quickest workout I had ever done. Air squats, handstand pushups (aided by a resistance band), and some weird movement with a barbell? Sold. It may have just been the endorphins (and the super hot coach), but I was glad my sister had dragged me out of bed that day.

Now I’ve been doing it for a year and a half, and I’m a little obsessed. I’ve done things I never thought I would ever be able to do (pullups, handstand pushups, pick up a bar that weighs two hundred pounds), and I’ve never felt so strong or capable in my life. It’s incredible how fast you can see a noticeable difference in yourself. I keep putting more pounds on the bar, and losing more pounds off myself!

Crossfit isn’t some typical fitness fad, however. What makes Crossfit different is the people. Everyone at my gym is so encouraging and supportive of each other, even if you’re trying to beat each other in the workout. There’s a sense of friendly competition that never turns sour. Plus, if I don’t feel like going to the gym and skip a workout, my Crossfit friends write on my Facebook wall and ask where I was. Busted!

Basically, Crossfit is amazing and I could go on and on about it–and in fact, I’m going to! Look forward to a weekly article about my Crossfitting chronicles of sweat angels, friendly competition, and heavy liftin’.

The official Her Campus Oregon account