Childhood Pastimes You Should Never Stop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Many of us reminisce about our childhoods, the times when things were simple. So why not take some advice from your inner-child and do the things that used to make you happy? Put a new spin on some old habits and…

Play dress-up.

Mix it up. Go out in something you wouldn’t normally wear. Take some fashion risks, and get noticed for it. I’m talking outrageous heels, that hat you bought as a joke with your friends, bright tights… anything out of your comfort zone.

Don’t take ‘no’ for an answer.

I don’t mean throwing a tantrum when you’re told to go to bed, but fighting for what you want. You will never end up where you want to be if you accept all of life’s no’s. Didn’t get that internship? That raise? Try again. And again.

Keep a diary.

These days most people share their every thought with the world on social media sites. Keeping a journal is similar, but it’s something you do for your own benefit, unlike Twitter or Facebook where everything you say is censored by what you think others want to hear, or who may be seeing it. A journal is a great way to organize your thoughts, goals, and to truly be yourself.

Be a free spirit.

As we grow older we become wrapped up in what we think we should be doing instead of what we want to be doing. Don’t forget to live your life for yourself, and have fun doing it. When you were nine years old there’s no way you would have cared what people thought of you.

Make cookies, just to eat the dough.

I know you want to.

Have a crush.

Whether it is Adam Levine, that guy with the perfect hair you see at your gym every weekend, or if you’re lucky enough to have a ridiculously good-looking professor – there’s some excitement in having a secret love. Just make sure to conceal your drooling.

Play games.

As a kid you might have liked Scrabble, Monopoly, or Twister. You can still find joy in all these childhood games, perhaps in a different way. Did someone say Strip Go Fish?  Check out these more risqué versions of the games you used to love. (http://boardgames.lovetoknow.com/Strip_Card_Games)

Watch a Disney movie.

If you’re ever in need of a happy ending, Disney’s where to go. I suggest Monsters Inc. or The Little Mermaid, personally. If you’re looking for a good cry, try The Lion King. Sometimes you need a night to stay in and take a break.

Save up.

That dress you fell in love with, a girls’ night out at the nicest restaurant in town, a new flat screen for your place – set your mind on something and save up. It will be much more rewarding than an impulse buy, or digging up money you really don’t have. (You get extra points for saving in a piggy bank).

Make handmade gifts.

As a college student, you might not have the money to be buying extra things like birthday or holiday gifts. Handmade gifts are a great way to show you care, and lets be honest, they’re everyone’s favorite. Some unique examples would be making a deck of cards into a “52 Reasons I Love You” book. (http://pinterest.com/pin/36943659413623388/)

Or, turning an ordinary gift such as a scarf, into something unique and personalized. (http://pinterest.com/pin/201184308324002747/)

When in doubt, look to Pinterest.

Currently a senior at the University of Oregon, I am the Editor-In-Chief of the Oregon chapter of Her Campus. My dream is to be able to combine my love for travel with my love for journalism. I hope to be a part of something inspiring.  
Rebecca is a senior at the School of Journalism and Communication at the University of Oregon. She is currently studying photography and magazine journalism. Hailing from the mountain town of Bend, Oregon, Rebecca values being outdoors, staying active, and the beauty in simple things. She loves seeing what other people are exploring in their fashion and finding new trends. Rebecca is a lover of all things creative, spontaneous, stylish, and interesting.