This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

With Valentine’s Day coming up you’re probably starting to worry about how much money you need to save from your next paycheck or what gift to get your partner. Don’t stress! You can still show your significant other you love them without emptying your purse. Follow these tips for celebrating a budget friendly Valentine’s Day.

There’s no shame in celebrating Valentine’s Day at home. It’s the easiest way to save money and there are plenty of ways to make it special.

Set the Mood

Grab all the candles you have and set them all around your house. Some mood lighting can transform your everyday scene into something special. Flowers, balloons and chocolates may seem cliché but everyone secretly wants them, and they’re festive!

Make a Meal Together

If you’re not looking to make a gourmet meal, try making pizza from scratch. It’s a great way to have some fun in the kitchen and there’s really no way you could mess it up. For dessert, try making chocolate covered strawberries. They’re simple, sweet and romantic.

Build a Fort

Channel your inner child by creating a romantic Valentine’s fort! There’s nothing better than snuggling up with your partner and spending some quality time together.

Watch a Movie

Just make sure to plan ahead and agree on a movie ahead of time so you don’t play the “I don’t know what do you want to watch?” game. Surprise your significant other with a basket of his/her favorite candies and popcorn.

Prepare a Romantic Bath

Pop a bottle of champagne, sprinkle some rose petals, add some bubbles and dip into a romantic evening for the books. What happens next is up to you…

Make a Gift

Save your money this year and get crafty! Check out Pinterest for some great DIY ideas your partner will for sure love.

Write a Letter

With all the stresses that come with life you don’t always get to tell your significant other how you feel. Take this time to really express what you love and appreciate about them in a handmade card, because what else is Valentine’s Day really all about if not to show your partner how much they mean to you.

Emily Feig

Oregon '19

Hey! My name is Emily Feig and I'm a journalism major at the University of Oregon. I'm an aspiring writer and editor, with a focus on all things about love and relationships. I'm obsessed with cats, chocolate and all things pink! I hope you like my stuff and feel free to reach out to me at emilyrosefeig@gmail.com! Xo
The official Her Campus Oregon account