Campus Celebrity: Marina Brassfield

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Meet this weeks international travelling campus celebrity, Marina Brassfield! After studying abroad in Macerata, Italy, last spring, Marina now works for the study abroad office and advises current UO students. You can find her harvesting veggies from her garden, drinking espresso (like the Italians), or planning her next international trip. Meet Marina!

Grade: Junior

Major: Environmental Studies

Hometown: Bend, OR

HCO: What is your favorite part about University of Oregon?

I love the atmosphere of the UO; everyone is friendly, cares about the community, and students have a lot of school spirit. I also love how beautiful and unique each season in Eugene is! 

HCO: How did you decide on your major?

I’ve switched majors twice already, but I know for sure that Environmental Studies is what I will stick with! I have always been passionate about protecting resources and preserving nature but I never considered studying that in college. During my freshman year, I took an Anthropology course and we watched a movie about the Pacific Gyre and how pollution is permanently swirling in it because of humans not properly disposing of waste. Since it’s happening in the ocean, the area is considered independent, so no single country wants to spend the money or resources to clean the area. I realized that trying to figure out why people view the world the way they do and how to potentially alter some views that are harming ecosystems is my passion, and that my major at the time (Business Administration) was passionless for me, and would ultimately be a waste of time for my interests and goals.

HCO: You studied abroad in Italy last spring; can you tell me a little about that experience and your favorite part of studying abroad?

It was by far the best experience of my college career so far. I studied Food and Culture, which as actually perfect for my degree since I’m also interested in sustainability of the food system. In Italy, I was able to see how the culture values “slow” foods, meaning fresh, local, and seasonal. My entire program basically revolved around food! Outings, classes, and my free time with other students was all about eating and seeing what food means to people.

HCO: How are Italians different than Americans?

They value their free time more, and are able to relax more than Americans. There is a long break in the middle of the day (around 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.) where people eat lunch with loved ones, nap, and relax. Most businesses and shops shut down at this time. Grocery stores closed around 8 p.m., which meant you had to plan meals more; life was more “inconvenient,” but I felt this made me more laid back, and ultimately happier. There are less distractions, and less pressure to always be busy. If everything is closed, you have nothing to do but spend time with people, go outside, cook or eat, or study! It was a nice way of life. 

HCO: What was your biggest lesson you learned while traveling?

To be flexible, to stay calm, and to ask for help if you need it. My first day in Italy I was traveling by myself, and overslept and missed my train! I was freaking out because I had no idea how the train system worked, and if there would be another one that day (in Europe, if you miss a train it’s really not a big deal, unless you have somewhere to be at a specific time). I had to ask multiple times for directions, too, even though I don’t speak any Italian. I made it to where I needed to be though! Everything works out in the end, and I felt like this was a common theme throughout my trip. 

HCO: Any tips for students who want to study abroad in the future?

Do things you wouldn’t do at home! Obviously, recklessness is not necessary, but to truly see the culture of a country step out of your comfort zone. For example, many people in my program went to museums, shows, and art openings they probably would have ignored if they were at home. I went to a traditional Catholic service, although I’m not religious, since Catholicism is such a large part of Italian culture. 

HCO: Where do you want to travel to next?

There are so many places! But if I had to narrow it down to two, I would love to travel to a South American country or Thailand. 

HCO: Do you have any cool unique hidden talents?

I wish! I don’t know if this is cool…It’s kind of embarrassing, but I can make a pretty good monkey noise! 

HCO: What three items would you bring with you on a deserted island?

I would bring a knife (I feel like that would be helpful for collecting food and building shelter!), a blanket for nights, and dark chocolate. 

HCO: And finally, if you had to eat at one restaurant that’s near campus for the rest of college, where would you choose and why?

My favorite restaurant in Eugene is Morning Glory. They serve amazing vegetarian breakfasts! I really don’t eat a whole lot near campus, but I suppose I would have to choose Caspian. I love falafel and Mediterranean food!

Rachel is a Junior at the University of Oregon studying Journalism, Advertising, and English. She is on the writing team for HCO. She aspires to become an editor of a fashion magazine, a food writer, or creative strategist at an advertising firm. Rachel has always loved the freedom of writing and loves all things creative, makeup, fashion, food and Art History. When not studying for school, she enjoys the beach, traveling, dancing, and eating Nutella.
The official Her Campus Oregon account