samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Celebrity: Leslie Seder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Name: Leslie Seder

Year: Senior

Major: Cinema Studies

Hometown: Claremont, CA

Blog: www.hopelesliedevoted.com

HCO: What inspired you to choose your major?

I chose my major because I’ve been making films all my life and finally decided that I want to pursue film production as a career. I also had heard great things about the Cinema Studies major, and therefore began on that major.

HCO: How did you find the opportunity to work at your most recent internship?

I heard about the opportunity to work at The World through my guidance counselor, Shauna. Shauna and I met several times and when she heard about the internship she thought that I would be a good fit. I then interviewed twice with four different members of the team, and was subsequently flown to Australia four weeks later.

HCO: Tell me a little about your experience? 

I worked as the Stage & Broadcast Intern in the Enrichment Department. The Enrichment department is the group that organizes events for the residents onboard the ship. As part of the Stage & Broadcast team I was responsible for creating the daily television show as well as running lectures, cultural performances, and the occasional theater show. However, my primary job was to film, edit and produce the daily TV show.

HCO: What did you learn the most about during your internship?

I learned that living on a ship is an experience like no other… And very difficult to describe. I also learned lots of different shooting and editing techniques, and even learned how to use new programs to create graphics and animation for the show. I also learned a great deal about the cultures that we were seeing while traveling through Papua New Guinea, Indonesia and Malaysia (one of the perks of having to conduct the lectures were the guest speakers talking about our upcoming locations).

HCO: Has it opened any other doors for you in the industry?

Currently it has opened up a job for me onboard the same ship in higher full-time position. I do think though, after remaining at this reputable company for some time it will definitely begin open doors for me when I choose to explore other jobs in this industry.

HCO: What has been your favorite project to work on?

Some of my favorite projects to work on during my internship were the filming segments when I was allowed to go onshore and film. This way I was immersed in the culture that I was trying to promote. It allowed me and the residents a better view on what they could see when they left the ship.

HCO: Who do you look up to as a role model?

In this job I definitely looked up to my boss Anthony as a role model. He knows an incredible amount about film production and was very helpful throughout my internship.

The official Her Campus Oregon account