Campus Celebrity: Kyra Buckley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

She’s worldly, an avid Jazzerciser, and can rock a sundress like nobody’s business! Meet Envision Magazine’s editor-in-chief and this week’s Campus Celebrity, Kyra Buckley! 

Name: Kyra Buckley

Age: 25

Year in school: Junior

Major: Political Science and Journalism

Minor: Arabic Studies

Hometown: Eugene, Oregon

Follow her @krbuckle

HCO: First off, what kind of magazine is Envision Magazine?

Envision is an online environmental publication that specifically reports on issues in the Northwest. It is run entirely by student volunteers with support from the UO’s School of Journalism and Communication.

HCO: How did you first get involved with this online publication?

I was working for another publication, Ethos. Now Envision publisher Keegan Clements-Housser and former Envision editor-in-chief Brenna Houck, who both also worked for Ethos, approached me about taking over the publication when Brenna graduated. I’ve always been attracted to smaller start-up publications, so after a little thought I sent them both an e-mail that simply said, “I’m in.”

HCO: Describe your editor-in-chief position. What does it entail?

I organize the different department heads and editors and foster communication between them. I mostly work with the editorial side of the publication (Keegan, our publisher, works mostly with our development teams, including advertising and public relations) and I specifically work with the feature writers. I edit every article multiple times, help organize department meetings and all-staff meetings, and I meet with the department heads and editors once a week to check-in with them. I also help problem solve when issues arise in any department. I work very closely with my managing editor, Jay Rogers, and with her help I tend to know what’s going on with each story or project.

HCO: What do enjoy most about being editor-in-chief position?

The people I work with. I get to organize the most inspiring and motivated team of people — people who truly love seeking out and telling the most important environmental stories. I leave our staff meetings or our senior staff meetings each week feeling invigorated. I want to be a journalist because I love learning new things, and I learn something new from each and every Envisioner I interact with.

HCO:  What is your work experience history?

As far as journalism goes, I worked as the opinion’s page editor for The Daily Orange at Syracuse University for a semester, and I also was a writer for the Student Voice at SU. I transferred to the UO last year and began working at Ethos as the managing web editor until I began working for Envision.

I also work at Sundance Natural Foods as the Accounts Receivable Administrator, and I’m deeply involved in the Willamette Valley organic food movement. I have learned a lot of my organization and communication skills at Sundance, as well as cultivated a deep understanding of the organic and natural foods industry and the issues surrounding it.

HCO: What do you hope to do after graduation?

Move to the Middle East, specifically Jordan or Lebanon, and either work for a media company or volunteer for an organization like the Peace Corp.

HCO: And last but not least, what do you like to do for fun?

I’m an avid Jazzerciser and I love dancing, especially to 80s music. I also like to go hiking in the spring and summer. However, most of the time on Friday nights you can find me catching up on my two favorite guilty pleasures: Downton Abbey and Glee.

I am a senior at the University of Oregon! I love to run, play soccer and hangout with my roommates. Typical college chick stuff! I am excited for my future in either journalism or advertising, I'm majoring in both!