pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Celebrity: Alison Jelden

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Alison Jelden is the leading PR Director at Envision Magazine and main coordinator behind our upcoming thrift fashion show event, Second-Hand Zombies: A Salvaged Costume Show. In the field of public relations, Alison is no amateur. She has experiences working for non-profits and plans to take on the Portland Senior Experience this Spring. Meet Alison!

HCO: When did you know you wanted to pursue public relations?

AJ: After transferring from OSU to Linn Benton Community College, I took a media studies course. There, I was interested in journalism. I also took a reporting and photo ethics class. I worked with my professor, Rob Priewe, and he introduced me to public relations. I appreciate his time and effort in journalism.

HCO: What has been some of your greatest experiences at UO to plan you for the future?

AJ: UO is a great school to transfer to. They help transfer students find their niche and interest. Joining Envision has led me to some great projects and events. The biggest event I am planning is the Second-Hand Zombies event. It’s a thrift fashion show happening Wednesday, Oct 22 at 7pm. I hope to see a great turn out. It will be a great portfolio piece to use when I’m applying for a job.

HCO: What do you work on in Envision?

AJ: In Envision, the public relations team works on events, campaigns, social media, and brand awareness. In a week, we will start the readership campaign. It’s a campaign to increase viewers and direct our target audience to our website and blog.

HCO: What character traits do you value most in your teammates?

AJ: I’m thankful my teammates are driven and passionate about the publication. They always want to learn more about local environmental issues. The value that is most important is the willingness to ask for help. It’s important for a team to be on the same page so everyone can reach the common goal.

HCO: What is your ideal career/company to work for?

AJ: My dream job is to work for a non-profit that focuses on animal conservation in the wild, such as the World Wildlife Fund (WWF). I would love to do social media and events all around the world for an organization that cares about wildlife.

HCO: What suggestions do you have for aspiring public relations students?

AJ: My advice is to just get out there and be active for what you are passionate about. I know most PR internships are unpaid, but if you love spreading an organization’s mission to the public, then the experience is valuable in itself. Just be knowledgeable about community and national news: know what is going on in the world.

Alison poses with models from the Second-Hand Fashion Show. Photo by Casey Minter

Heather is a senior at the University of Oregon, majoring in advertising. An aspiring copywriter, her dream job would be screenwriting for TV, but for the meantime she works as an office assistant, ad director for Envision magazine, freelance graphic designer, and her favorite, campus correspondent at Her Campus Oregon. She hails from Lake Oswego, Oregon, and loves the quirky side of Oregon: its unique people, unpredictable weather, and amazing music scene. She's a cat lover, avid black coffee drinker, and TV and movie addict.