This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

This week’s campus celebrity is turning heads and igniting cool conversations of all kinds. HCO sat down with Sauce, a DJ-duo that seeks to turn up the beat all while redefining the game of collegiate DJ’ing. Comprised of former roommates and best friends Matt Boehmer and Sean Brennecke, you’ll be convinced now more than ever that “everything is better with Sauce!”

HCO: How did Sauce come to be? What inspired you guys to work together?

S: Three years ago we moved in together and realized that we both had a passion for music with diverse backgrounds. Before we lived together we were always the go-to people to provide tunes for friends. The two of us consistently wanted to control the auxiliary cord at parties, which was a sign that joining forces to provide music to the people was a good option. After sitting down and discussing potential DJ names we were torn for awhile. The first thing we did know was that we DIDN’T want “DJ” in front of our name. While devouring some burritos from El Super Burrito drenched in hot sauce the light bulb went off when one of us said, “These burritos just wouldn’t be as good without this sauce.” It was at that moment, our name “Sauce” was born along with our tagline: “Everything is better with Sauce.

HCO: How would you describe your energy? 

S: We each bring a lot to the table. Sean loves anything that is funky and contributes his knowledge of Indie Electronic/throwbacks and Matt loves to get the dance floor dirty with his background in Hip Hop and Trap. We both are passionate about EDM and have a strong deep house game. When we play we appeal to a wide audience.

HCO: What do you love most about DJ’ing?

S: We love sharing our music with people and always play to the crowd. Music has a unique way to connect with people and has the power to completely control the energy in the room. We do what we do because we genuinely love when people are having a good time and dancing as hard as we are. 

HCO: What differentiates Sauce from other notable campus DJs?

S: Sauce is so effective because we divide and conquer the tasks of being an effective DJ. Not once have we ever had a predetermined set. Each time we play we usually discuss what song we should start off with on the car ride over and that’s about it. From there we stitch together whatever songs it takes to provide the best time possible. We make a huge effort to give our audience what they want by reading and responding to the energy of the crowd and simultaneously amping it up.

HCO: What goals do you have in regards to your DJ’ing career? 

S: Our goals are to leave a great impression on the UO community as we transition into our professional lives. Sean has plans to join an Advertising agency in the Northwest and Matt has plans to continue his education through grad school.

Be sure to check out Sauce at Webfoot Bar & Grill before they graduate in June! 

Photos by Libby Bartley

cincinnati raised -- go redlegs. spending this chapter of my life exploring the pacific northwest. inspired by laughter, adventure, unfamiliar things & spontaneity.university of oregon, class of 2016. journalism major always searching for new experiences. finding the unseen magic of the world through a camera lens.to see more of my work, visit my personal blog: https://libbybartley.wordpress.com/
The official Her Campus Oregon account