Campus Celeb: Kianna Simmons

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Name: Kianna Simmons

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Milwaukie, OR

Major(s): Pre-Planning Public Policy & Management

Her Campus: Describe yourself in three words.

Kianna Simmons: Silly, outgoing, and open-minded.

(By the way, this was super hard for her to widdle down to just three words!)

HC: What extracurriculars do you do on campus?

KS: Theater, and I’m hoping to join Duck TV next term (for acting)! I really want to be more involved in clubs, and find a soup kitchen/homeless shelter to volunteer at.

HC: When did you start acting?

KS: When did I start acting? Technically, freshman year in high school, but I believe I’ve been acting my entire life. My parents always said I would do little shows, plus I also did the whole “mean little sister” act. I would run into my parents’ room and say my brother hit me, when he totally didn’t. I could burst into tears on demand as a kid, too.

HC: Why do you do acting/theatre/shows?

KS: I just love acting. It’s challenging in a way that you wouldn’t think it is. It’s fun to be someone else.

HC: What was your first play/favorite play/favorite role?

First play: Agent #2 in You Can’t Take It With You.

Favorite play: It was a concept album that was a metal rock opera. I was in it in high school.

Favorite play overall: The Last Five Years, which is a musical and The School for Lies, just closed at UO.

HC: Funniest/Most awkward/Embarrassing story from the stage?

(So there were three, and they were all priceless.)

KS: 1. One time, someone left a giant thing of industrial tape on set, and I bumped it, and it fell on my face. No one saw me, but they totally heard it. Thankfully no one actually saw what happened!

2. I had to make out with my fellow actor, [who was] the lead in the play, and my mom was in the audience. My mom said after, “Kianna, you really got into it!”

3. Also, a little kid I knew, actually my boss’ kid, was at one of my shows, and would just say funny comments in the audience.

HC: What are you doing in terms of theatre at the UO?

KS: I just got done with a Pocket Show written by a student, called Writing the Perfect Love Song. I played Louisa, the sexy fling.

HC: Any final thoughts about yourself/theatre?

KS: I’m excited to get a lot more involved! Even though I’m not majoring in theatre, I want it to be a part of my life.

A proud UO duck who loves to bake, eat, and photograph cupcakes. She also enjoys hiking, laughing, listening to jazz and cello, and all things that have to do with the winter and snow.
The official Her Campus Oregon account