Amp Up Your Spring Workouts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

The sun is starting to peek around the corner and give the University of Oregon campus a sneak preview of how beautiful Eugene is when the sun is out. It is impossible to be in a bad mood when the sun is out, and likewise it’s impossible to have a bad workout! Here are some fun fitness ideas to try in the sunshine this spring.

Circuit Workouts
Circuits are a wonderful way to get your sweat on. The short increments of about 45 seconds to one minute make the time pass quickly, promote quickness and agility, and guarantee to make you break a great sweat. Check out these circuit workouts that would be perfect for the turf fields on a sunny day.

Eugene Running Trails
Eugene is a great place for runners. Whether you are just starting out, or if running is your passion, there are numerous places to work those legs and be surrounded by beautiful scenery at the same time.

• Amazon Trail-Located South of S. Eugene High School, a smooth bark chip trail that is easy to run on.
  • Alton Baker Park – Better suited for longer distances, but can be tailored to any runner. The many trails to  explore are located across the river and behind Autzen Stadium.
  • Hendricks Park – This park is located a little under a mile east of Hayward Field. You can choose to take an easy jog through the rhododendron gardens or opt for dirt trails under huge trees.
  • Rexius Trail – This trail connects to the Amazon Trail and is a 3.5 mile loop on soft bark chips.

Free Running Mix Download
To keep yourself moving and pushing, head to Rock My Run for a free monthly download of a tempo-based timed running playlist. The upbeat lyrics to popular and old school songs often include female power and perseverance themes. The link above will take you to a personal favorite that never fails to keep me going the whole 45 minutes with great picks and high tempo.

Photos from:
http://strongerthanyouthinkbitch.tumblr.com/post/15875445712
http://toresolveproject.com/

– – –

Rebecca Gibson is a University of Oregon junior studying photography and journalism. Her career goals include writing, design, and multimedia production for magazine. Due to growing up in the beautiful mountain town of Bend, Oregon, Rebecca values staying active and healthy and the beauty in simple things. She is addicted to online shopping, the feeling after a great workout, traveling the world, and eating delicious food. Her role models include Audrey Hepburn and Lauren Conrad, and any other woman who can be classy and maintain a healthy dose of sarcasm at the same time. She is a lover of all things original, creative, chic, and fashionable. Visit her website!

Rebecca is a senior at the School of Journalism and Communication at the University of Oregon. She is currently studying photography and magazine journalism. Hailing from the mountain town of Bend, Oregon, Rebecca values being outdoors, staying active, and the beauty in simple things. She loves seeing what other people are exploring in their fashion and finding new trends. Rebecca is a lover of all things creative, spontaneous, stylish, and interesting.
Serena Piper will always be a Southern belle at heart, but for now she is a Senior Magazine Journalism student at the University of Oregon. She is an avid news reader and watcher, loves to bake yummy desserts and watch Sex and the City reruns, has big travel plans for after graduation and would eventually like to work for National Geographic. She wouldn't mind one bit if her life echoed Elizabeth Gilbert's in Eat, Pray, Love. To find out what Serena is up to, check out her blog and follow her on Twitter