9 Struggles All Gluten Free People Can Relate To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Let’s face it, if you are a gluten-free eater, then you feel the struggle of trying to find foods that don’t upset your body and are constantly searching for snacks that don’t taste like cardboard. I have only been gluten free for a couple months now due to an intolerance, and it has been such a transition (aka I miss bread).

1. Going out to dinner is HARD. You have to always take longer than everybody else to order by scanning over the menu multiple times, hoping for that little “GF” symbol next to every dish.

2. You know the feeling of true fear when you accidentally take a bite of a food with gluten in it. Oh. my. god. I will be in pain shortly and it will not be pretty.

3. You randomly get sick and don’t know what food it is from. Where did the gluten come from? We may never know.

4. Waiters/waitresses get real annoyed when you ask for a GF menu. I’m sorry this is not the life I choose, it chose me.

5. Your friends think you really aren’t GF (ugh). I would love to dive face first into a pile of gluten, but sadly I cannot.

6. You would do just about anything for a piece of bread covered in butter. This speaks for itself.

7. You spend SO much more at the grocery store on GF food. Why is GF bread $8 and tastes like stale, fake bread?

8. You get charged extra for GF substitutions at restaurants. Why do I have to pay more if I am allergic to something?

9. People think you are on a diet for fun. Trust me, it’s not a diet. I wish I could eat that last croissant.

Hi! I'm Hailey. I am a senior at the Unviersity of Oregon studying Advertising. I am a workout nut and a Certified Personal Trainer at our campus REC center. In my free time you can find me outside, either hiking, biking or exercising. I am also completley obsessed with the fashion industry and will hopefully be going into Fashion Merchandising and Marketing in the near future. 
The official Her Campus Oregon account