7 Oregon Swimming Holes to Beat the Heat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Looking to beat the heat this spring?! If you’re like us, these past few days of warm weather have already got you thinking about where you’re going to spend the next sunny day! Luckily for you, we’ve got just the spot. In fact, we’ve got seven of them. Grab your friends and check out some of our favorite Oregon swimming holes!

1.     Opal Pool

First on the list is Opal Pool. If it’s name isn’t convincing enough, images of this small emerald chasm in Opal Creek are sure to do the trick. Located in the Willamette National Forest, this serene swimming hole is the perfect getaway on a hot spring day!

2.     The Big Float

For the past 6 years, Portland has hosted “The Big Float” in honor of the Human Access Project. Each year more than 2,500 floaters make their way down the Willamette River to Tom McCall Waterfront Park, where they are greeted by free food and live music. The idea is to “inspire positive aspirations for the river’s protection and improvement.” What better way to enjoy the warm weather than by making a positive impact in the community! 

3.     The Spit + Hood River Event Site

This springtime favorite is home to swimmers, paddlers, and wind surfers alike. Its sandy beaches attract large crowds, making it the place to be next time you’re searching for a warm weather hangout spot.

4.     High Rocks

Adrenaline junkies, look no further! High Rocks is the ideal spot for anyone looking for some cliff jumping action. Although it can get a little crowded on warm sunny days, this unique stretch of river makes it the perfect spot for anyone looking for a fun way to cool off.

5.     Three Pools

Three Pools is the ultimate swimming hole. Its emerald green pools and picturesque waterfalls make it the perfect place to cool off this spring. These pools are another prime location for people who enjoy a little cliff jumping. Although it can get a bit crowded on the hottest days, its pools are large enough to accommodate anyone who wants to join!

6.     Triangle Lake Rock Slides

Triangle Lake has it all! Located just minutes away from the lake itself, the famous “Slide Rock,” features 100 feet of natural rockslides. Visitors can wade in the pools upstream or sunbath on the large, flat rocks that divide the current. Whatever you choose to do, it’s sure to be a good time!

7.     Punchbowl Falls

As its name indicates, this bowl-shaped swimming hole sits at the base of several falls. In order to reach it, visitors must follow the Eagle Creek Trail a short distance to reach the falls. Here, people (and their pets) are often found wading in the water and cannonballing into the pools below. These are just a few of the reasons that Punchbowl is one of our favorite swimming holes! 

The official Her Campus Oregon account