7 Do’s and Don’t’s if You’re Single On Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Being single on Valentine’s Day is not as bad as it seems—if you’re like me, you’ve probably had a lot of experience being single at this time of year, so you’re truly not feeling some type of way. However, if you’re newly single, or have never spent the holiday alone, it might feel like the end of the world. You won’t die of course, but it can be somewhat difficult to feel good on a day based on the celebration of love when you’re alone. Here are 7 Do’s and Don’t’s for being single on Valentine’s Day:

1. Do not go on any forms of social media

This one is a no brainer. Social media is already designed to make you envious of others in the first place—why make yourself sick over Ashley’s Instagram of one of those giant teddy bears from Costco that Brad bought her? Stay off of all forms of social media altogether and prosper.

2.  Do not, under any circumstances, text your ex

Don’t even let it cross your mind. From personal experience, this is the hardest thing not to do.  It’s important to remember, especially on days like Valentine’s Day, that depending on how things ended, either good or bad, they ended for a reason. Chances are, they’re probably expecting a text from you anyways, but don’t give in to the temptation. Let sleeping dogs lie, girl. 

3.  Do have a girl’s night

Girlfriends are more important than boyfriends, especially when you’re alone. Girls’ nights are filled with the best memories, the best conversations, and the feeling of so much genuine love for one another. Spend time talking, laughing, listening to music, and dancing around your apartment. Get a bottle of 7/11 Barefoot Merlot, order a pizza, and have a good time with your girls!

4.   Do not go to the mall

If you’re trying to avoid all of the nauseating couples that manifest in the food court, avoid the mall altogether. In my opinion, couples do the absolute most for attention when they know that they have an audience—the mall is the worst place to go on Valentine’s day if you don’t want to be a part of the ‘PDA show’.

5.  Do pig out

Yes, Valentine’s Day means cheat day. If you’ve been going strong on your diet since the first of the year, you deserve to reward yourself with some long awaited, much deserved carbs! The good news is candy will probably be on sale the day of, and no one will judge you for buying a family sized bag of Snickers, or a gallon of cookie dough ice cream. 

6.  Do online shop

If you’re like me, getting lost in the depths of Wanelo and Amazon are an everyday task. Treat yourself to some things that have been in your cart forever. Your bank account is probably telling you know, but your heart is definitely telling you yes. And it is a day about the heart, right? 

7.  Do not look at old pictures of you and your ex

Just like in the case of texting them, don’t even think about going through your camera roll. You’ll get sad, regretful, and spend the rest of the day/night thinking of the way you felt about them when you took those pictures, and it will ruin your day. Don’t play into it—avoid it at all costs.

Being single on Valentine’s Day is not the end of the world–you will survive. 

Hellooooooo everyone!  First of all, if you read anything I write, you are golden, and I appreciate you! I am a 21 year old girl from San Diego, California. I am currently a senior at the University of Oregon, majoring in Advertising, and graduating in June. 
The official Her Campus Oregon account