7 Absolutely Necessary Hikes in Oregon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

It’s Spring term! Time to take a hike! Oregon has some of the most beautiful hikes out there, and it’s one of the best ways to get up and out of the house, without spending money (but I mean, buy some good hiking snacks and chocolate for the trip, though) and without needing much equipment, skills, or to be honest, amazing physical shape. So grab those beat-up sneakers and hit those trails.

1. Southern Oregon: Pilot Rock

Difficulty: Way Easy

Length: 2.0 miles

A simple, but slightly challenging hike for all of you in the Southern region, (my home base!) this hike is made for everyone! Like, actually everyone. It was just a little bit challenging for me, but still doable for my eight-year-old sister. And a big plus—it’s gorgeous. Photographer? Bird-watcher? Admirer of nature? Go on this hike. Like, tomorrow. So go get ‘em!

2. Eastern Oregon: Deschutes River Hike

Difficulty: Fairly Easy

Length: 3.6 miles

Walk, ride (on a horse, of course) or bike on this gorgeous hike! Hiking along the Deschutes River is not just exciting, pretty, and utterly serene, but it sounds amazing, too. The river sounds are oddly calming. And before you think you could just pull up your “calming sounds” Spotify playlist and hear the same thing—think again. The real thing is just so much better.

3. Western Oregon: Cannon Beach Hike

Difficulty: A Little Harder

Length: 10.2 miles (can be shortened)

Trust me—you want to go on this hike. It’s not too much of a hike until you get to some of the most amazingly little beaches I’ve ever seen. Chock-full of cool tunnels, tiny tide pools, and utterly mind-blowing plants and greenery, you’ll never, ever regret taking the extra time to get there. And since you have to walk some to get to those little beaches, there’s hardly anyone there. So instead of just camping out on that super crowded main beach, take a walk on the less-beaten path. Or however that saying goes.

4. Northern Oregon: Multnomah Falls Hike

Difficulty: Easiest of the Easy

Length: 2.6 miles

Yeah, it’s so touristy and full of people, but it’s gorgeous. This trail is filled to the brim with wildlife, amazing flowers, clean trails, and an amazing ending. The entire hike is practically dominated by the roar of the waterfall that awaits at the end of your trek. Multnomah Falls, a beautiful and extremely camera-worthy waterfall, is just a short hike away and well worth it.

5. In the UO Area: Elk Trail

Difficulty: Definitely Moderate 

Length: 1.5 miles

An extremely easy little hike in the Elijah Bristow State Park, it’s easy, gorgeous, and not to be missed. Plus it’s pretty darn close to campus. Full of flowers and nature and fields and forests, you’ll get a little bit of everything with this hike!

6. In the Portland Area: Wild Cheat Meadow

Difficulty: A Bit More Difficult

Length: 2.9 miles

In its own little section of the state, out of the way, and absolutely stunning, this is a trail not to be missed. It’s a part of the Willamette National Forest and it’s one of the best hikes I’ve ever seen. You get lush green trees and bushes, fields of flowers, and views of mountains all around. What’s to lose? Nothing! So go now! 

7. Best Hike Ever: Black Butte Hike

Difficulty: Super Easy

Length: 4.0 miles

Secluded, beautiful, and more than doable, this trail is for everyone, including you! Really—just look at the pictures, I promise, and you’ll want to get in your car and go to this hike right away. It’s definitely not to be missed.

Go little hikers, go!

Thanks to oregontrails, thrillest.com, and outdoorproject.com for the “Difficulty” and “Miles” information.

A proud UO duck who loves to bake, eat, and photograph cupcakes. She also enjoys hiking, laughing, listening to jazz and cello, and all things that have to do with the winter and snow.
The official Her Campus Oregon account