5 Stereotypes Millennials Face and How to Defy Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

If you were born sometime between 1980 and 2000, you are, for better or for worse, a part of the Millennial generation.  Older generations have placed Millennials with a less-than-favorable reputation, and it’s our job to prove the negative stereotypes wrong.  As a generation, we are independent, skilled at social media, and activists for equality, and we deserve to be recognized for our merits and successes rather than unfavorable traits.

Stereotype: Millennials are narcissistic.

Reality: Due to the copious amounts of selfies and snapchats Millennials take on a daily basis, we’re perceived as narcissistic and self centered.  Our Instagram feeds and camera rolls are filled with not only selfies, but also photos of food, friends, and other pictures designed to help us gain the maximum amount of likes.  We are posting photos that we like, of things we like, and that we think others should see.  We might place too much value in likes on Instagram and the number of “friends” we have on Facebook, but we still care about other people beyond just ourselves.  

Solution:  Post things of importance.  Use social media to spread information and make connections.  Don’t post so many selfies. (Or do.  Post whatever makes you happy, and ignore negativity.)

Stereotype: Millennials are apathetic.

Reality: Contrary to popular belief, Millennials are not lazy and uninterested in things of importance.  While we do enjoy a nice night of binge-watching Netflix, we also enjoy fighting for equality of the races and sexes.  We are still productive members of society, and should not be judged for what we choose to do in our free time.  

Solution: Get involved with an organization or charity that has values you can support.  For every season you watch on Netflix, do something that makes a difference for the better. 

Stereotype: Millennials are technologically dependent.

Reality: Everyone is dependent on his or her devices.  Most people are glued to their technology 24/7.  Millennials are just more proficient at operating said technology than older generations who choose to take out their anger and frustration by saying we are on our devices too much.

Solution: There is nothing wrong with using technology for a significant part of the day; it helps boost productivity at work, facilitates communication, and provides entertainment.  However, maybe take a moment to put your phone away during family dinner, or when you’re visiting Grandma, and spend some quality time with people while you have the chance. 

Stereotype: Millennials are taking longer to embrace adulthood.

Reality:  Millennials are still embracing adulthood, just without some of the traditional rites of passage that previous generations have embraced.  We choose marry later in life, have children later, and are living with our parents longer.  However, in this economic climate, it is not necessarily a bad thing to be at home and save money.  Being single and independent, or living at home, does not negate the fact that you are legally considered an adult. 

Solution:  Do your best to become independent financially, achieve your career goals, and marry (should you choose to do so) in your own time.

Stereotype: Millennials are the worst generation.

Reality:  Millennials are the future.  We are the next generation trying to better the earth and fix the financial problems past generations have created.  We have barely had a chance to prove ourselves and we deserve some more time to see how our history plays out.

Solution:  Continue to be the creative, innovative, passionate individuals that are working to make this world a better place.  Work to make a positive name for ourselves in the history books.

The official Her Campus Oregon account