This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you almost always rolled your eyes at your dad’s music when you were young. While I was listening to Justin Bieber and Katy Perry, my dad was listening to what I’ve come to know as some of the best artists to date. Turns out, my dad has always had a good taste in music. Here are five artists your dad probably listens to that you should check out!

1. Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan is one of the most iconic singer-songwriters to date. His classic songs with a folk twist are the perfect for road trips along the coast. What makes Bob Dylan so influential are the social calls to action in his music. ‘Like a Rolling Stone’ is THE song to check out from him. 

2. Neil Young

Neil Young is another influential singer-songwriter. He’s most known for ‘Heart of Gold’ which is a classic you should look for. Not only is Neil Young a singer-songwriter, he is also an environmental activist, engineer, and philanthropist. He’s an amazing artist and person. 

3. Guns N’ Roses

This rock band, popular in the 80s, started off with vocalist Axl Rose, lead guitarist Slash, rhythm guitarist Izzy Stradlin, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Steven Adler. Since then some of the members have changed, but they can still rock. Your Dad probably jammed out to them when they were our age now it’s your turn to jam out!

4. Patti Smith

This singer-songwriter, poet, and visual artist speaks of activism and influence during the punk rock movement in the 70s with her debut album ‘Horses’. Her mix of rock and poetry is legendary and influential which is the reason why you need to check her work out!

5. Leonard Cohen

Leonard Cohen was a singer-songwriter, poet, novelist and painter who sadly died last year. He didn’t start out as a musician, but as a poet and novelist during the 50s and 60s. The music side of his career didn’t start until the late 60s. The folk aspect of his work is what makes him worth the listen. 

Journalism sophomore at University of Oregon
The official Her Campus Oregon account