sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Gifts Under $10 For Your Significant Other (or Best Friend)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oregon chapter.

Ah, it’s that time of the year again! And you’re still just as broke, but you want to give something to that special someone in your life. No worries this holiday season, Her Campus Oregon has got you covered. Check out 10 of our favorite gift ideas that are thoughtful but won’t break the bank.

A Coupon Book

Customized to your relationship, of course! Make a personalized book of freebies using ideas like one free back massage, a homecooked meal, or if you live together, maybe one week free of chores. Be as intimate as you like with these, and get creative! They could even feature hand-drawn illustrations for a personal touch- or clip art, if that’s not your strong point.

A Houseplant

Some of us aren’t ready for the commitment of a pet, so start small by getting them a plant to beautify their apartment or house. According to Bayer Advanced, having a plant in your home can decrease the likeliness for respiratory distress, reduce stress, purify your air, and even help you study better.  Health benefits aside, it’s amazing what a little bamboo will do to improve the appearance of your home. You can even dress it up to be seasonal!

Infused Alcohol

If you’re 21, infusing your own alcohol is a easy and fun idea. And don’t think you’re going to make sketchy moonshine! Buy a bottle of some cheap shelf vodka (or an alcohol of their choice), and then buy some fresh fruit or other ingredients to customize. Combine the ingredients in a mason jar and seal it, leaving it on a windowsill for 3 days to 2 weeks. Then, strain your ingredients through cheese cloth and pour the liquid into a new jar. It’s magic; you’ve transformed cheap alcohol into a crafty, tasty liquor. Some of my favorite recipes include mint and cucumber or raspberry and lime. There are lots of yummy recipes online, including some here.

Photo by My Baking Addiction

Socks

Ah, the gift you always dreaded as a child… and now can’t get enough of. We are always losing socks. Try getting some socks that are fun and personal, maybe a throwback to their favorite show, drink, or animal. This gift is both humorous and guaranteed to be worn.

Their Own Domain Name

Sounds weird, but this was one of the best gifts I have ever received. For aspiring journalists, artists, businessmen, or anyone in need now or in the future of a portfolio or any kind of website, it’s hugely beneficial to own your own domain name, especially to increase your online presence and visibility to employers. For example, if your name was Jane Smith, you would want to buy the domain name janesmith.com. Depending on the demand, you can usually purchase a name for $9.99 or less, for 1-3 years, depending on the deal. Check out GoDaddy now to see if the name you are seeking is in use.

Frame Collage

Another neat idea for long term couples is a creative collection of photos of you two over the years. You can either buy a cheap frame from IKEA or Michael’s to decorate, or use  other ideas. Some easy, cool-looking designs include a string of photos held by clothes pins or a frame from recycled cans. Basically, you can make a frame out of just about anything. You can check out other unique ideas here.

Photo by Fresh Home

A Video Game on Steam

If they’re a gamer and don’t know about Steam, be the first to introduce them. It’s an online platform to play thousands of PC games from independent to popular titles, such as Five Nights at Freddys, Sims 4, and Day Z. They have a whole category of games for under $10, and user reviews for each of those games.  Just be warned. They may become addicted.

A Miniature Care Package

Some of us received care packages freshman year, and some of us just wish we did. Find their favorite candy, snack food, and beverage, and pair them together in a mini bag, box, or basket: no sharing required. Dress it up with some tissue paper or other filler. They will appreciate you knowing them so well and everyone likes to receive their favorite sweets and snacks, no matter what our age. If you’re actually good at baking, hit the stove and make something special!

A Mix CD of “Your Songs”

In this generation of abundant music, we have greater access to songs than ever before. Some couples and friends have their own song, and others have multiple. Music is a great way to bond with those we love, and through the now nostalgic gift of a mix CD, you can give a mix of memories that will make you go, “remember that one time?” Whether it was from a road trip or doctor’s office, music ties a multitude of memories, from good to just plain funny. A CD will show you remembering those moments spent by their side and cherishing them.

Photo by Glench

A Second-hand Copy of Your Favorite Book

Winter is a great time to relax and kick back, and for many of us it’s a time to spend time with a good book (that’s not required for class, for once). Whether you’re traveling, waiting at the coffee shop, or just being lazy at home, reading is a great past time to wind down and keep your mind engaged over the long break. Buying books brand new can be expensive, so stop by your local second-hand store or look online for a used copy of your favorite book or a book your friend has been really wanting to read. Right now you can buy my favorite book, Looking for Alaska by John Green on Amazon for only $5.99.

Being broke doesn’t mean you have to give up on the holidays; just get more creative. Totally love one of these or have some other ideas? Share in the comment section below!

Heather is a senior at the University of Oregon, majoring in advertising. An aspiring copywriter, her dream job would be screenwriting for TV, but for the meantime she works as an office assistant, ad director for Envision magazine, freelance graphic designer, and her favorite, campus correspondent at Her Campus Oregon. She hails from Lake Oswego, Oregon, and loves the quirky side of Oregon: its unique people, unpredictable weather, and amazing music scene. She's a cat lover, avid black coffee drinker, and TV and movie addict.