This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Dear Oregon State Community,

There has been some recent concern about an article one of our staff members wrote this week about her unfortunate Greek Life experiences. As stated in a disclaimer at the top of that article, the opinions shared by our writer Alyssa were solely hers based off of her own personal experiences, and did not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of Her Campus Oregon State.

As a student news publication, our job is to let stories be told and to present issues as they are. We published this article for this very reason, as we believe that it is important for students (especially those considering rushing) to know that not everything about Greek Life is sunshine and rainbows. Having negative Greek Life experiences is something that is relatable to a larger percentage of students than most may know about, and we find it important to showcase this to present both sides of Greek Life equally. As seen in the past, we have also published articles showing the great things that Greek organizations have done on campus and continue to do. The Her Campus Nationals site does this as well.

We here at Her Campus Oregon State believe that Greek Life is a fantastic opportunity for students to grow and learn together with groups of like-minded students on campus, and we have several staff members who are happily associated with houses and philanthropic organizations. We meant no disrespect to Greek Life or Alpha Phi by publishing Alyssa’s story. We simply wanted to do our job by sharing student stories and experiences in an unedited and unbiased manner. For this reason we have decided to keep the article online.

Thank you for voicing your opinions on this issue! We want you to know that they have been heard and taken into consideration. If you have anything you would like to comment on or share with the OSU community about this topic, feel free to submit a Letter to the Editor by emailing me at laravlw@hercampus.com for possible publication on our site.

Go Beavs,

Lara von Linsowe-Wilson

Editor-in-Chief and President – Her Campus Oregon State

Lara is a graduate of Oregon State University, with a degree in New Media Communications and minors in writing and Spanish. Currently, Lara resides in New York City and works in the Influencer Marketing space.