danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Internships 101: Get to Know the Basics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Summer internships are a crucial part of college. They can create amazing opportunities and business connections that are able to further your career while allowing you to gain experience in your potential field. Though it may seem daunting to work during your summer vacation, it is important to complete as many internships as you can before you go out into the real world! Following are some reasons you should apply for that internship you’ve been eyeing, as well as some tips for what to do once you’re finished!

You can gain real life work experience.

Internships are where you get to actually see what your work life will be like in the future. It is a chance to work with experienced adults and do things hands on. It’s one thing to learn about your career field and take classes on things that interest you, but actually working with people who are doing what you want to do in the future is a completely different experience.

Internships are a great thing to add to your resume.

It is always a plus when you get to add new experiences to your resume because it shows future employers that you have been working toward your goals. Internships are one of the best things to put onto a resume, since they show that you have actual field work in your desired industry!

Keep in touch – even after your internship is over.

The most important thing about internships is building connections with the people you are working with. Internships allow you to meet lots of people and create business connections that could further your career in the future, so if you make a positive impression many doors will open for you. After completing a summer internship you should come out with at least one good contact from that business, so keep in touch with them and let them know your progress in academic and career plans. It will create a connection that could help you land the perfect job in your designated field!

Decide whether the industry you interned at is right for you.

After interning somewhere you may realize one of two things – either this is a field you see yourself working in later in life, or you just can’t imagine doing it for more than a summer. No matter what your opinion turns out to be, internships are the best way to test things out. Interning for various companies can also be a good way to dip into a lot of fields and experiment before graduating college.

I highly encourage everybody to take advantage of internship opportunities. It is best to gain work experience and make connections outside of college so that when you graduate you already have a foot in the door for your career. Do not let non-paid internships discourage you; there is a lot to gain from internships even if no money is involved! The skills you can learn during internships are priceless, so be sure to make the most of them while you can.

I am currently in my 3rd year at Oregon State and majoring in merchandising management. I am an intern for Beaver Athletics, a part-time student archive worker at the library. I am involved in many organizations including HerCampus, DAMchic magazine, Chi Theta Phi, and Relay for Life.