What Your Favorite Coffee Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Coffee for many college students is basically the blood that keeps you going through tests, group projects, club meetings, long work days, and everything else that life throws at you. Whether you have a very specific coffee order, you like to switch it up, or you have a few main staples, your coffee choices say so much about who you are and what gets you through the day.

1. Black Coffee

You are extremely down to earth, have a classic style, and like to save money. You don’t need those fancy drinks because you mean business. You like the taste of coffee and don’t need any add-ons. You’re someone who is constantly hustling to be better at everything you do. You keep busy with classes, work, and your significant other. Though it makes you pretty tired, sometimes your cup of joe in the morning can get you through just about anything.

2. Coffee with heaps of creamer

You are kind and always willing to help out a friend in need. Though you act tough at times, you have a soft side that only those close to you see. You cry at animal videos, call your mom on the regular, and love working on craft projects to keep your mind busy.

3. Any type of Frappuccino

You’re one of those people who it’s hard to believe is being sincere because of how nice you are! You’re constantly doing good deeds, always have a smile on your face, and you adore everything girly, sugary, and downright saccharine sweet. You’re completely genuine and try to live your life as only a disney princess could come close to.

4. Mocha

You’re the class clown in every class you’re in. You love a good joke and just want to have fun! You have a total sweet tooth and basically lived on hot chocolate when you were younger, no matter the weather outside. When you got a little bit older and had your first coffee you decided why not get that but with a little extra oomph and so you became a mocha devotee. White chocolate mochas, peppermint mochas, caramel mochas, you love them all. Just keep the chocolate coming and life will be good.

5. Seasonal Drink

Pumpkin Spice, Chestnut Praline, Holiday Flat White, Peppermint Mocha, Candy Cane Latte. You name the holiday drink and you’re already there bright and early on the first day it’s available. You’re the type to play Christmas songs year round and who loves sweater weather. You binge watch holiday movies like most people watch their favorite show, and every year you buy a chocolate advent calendar too. Holidays are more than just decorations to you. Often you help out volunteering when you can to give back to others and you love giving more than you love receiving presents. You’re a total homebody and often called the mom of your respective friend group for always taking care of others.

6. Latte

The latte can be delightfully simple but you don’t view it as such. You go to the same coffee shop every day where they know you by name. You’re an introverted extrovert, who loves being social and interacting with others but also needs some downtime to recharge. Your coffee shop of choice is just that for you and preferably a locally owned business. You sit, work on your homework, take a picture of your latte art, and just relax if only for 15 minutes.

7. Dirty Chai

You’re a huge fan of chai and thought you’d take it up a notch by adding coffee to the mix. You’re an instagram addict, love long walks to the farmer’s market, and are not quite a hipster but definitely the creative type.

8. Caramel Macchiato

You’re a huge fan of caramel on everything. Caramel brownies, salted caramels, snickers, and anything else you can imagine. A caramel macchiato is your natural choice for a coffee drink. You’re someone who enjoys the finer things in life whether it’s a designer handbag, a spendy pair of jeans, or a nice bottle of perfume. You believe in practicing self-care and work hard to be able to do so.

9. Cold Brew

You’re a hippie at heart who loves a good hike, adores a nice worn in plaid shirt, and has a collection of comfy shoes not soon to be rivaled. You like your coffee to be straightforward and not too sweet because you like to savor the taste and love hearing about the brewing process. You’re the type who loves biking in the rain, watching old movies every weekend, and the simple moments in life.

10. Americano

You’re someone who to some comes off as extremely brash. You say what you mean exactly when it crosses your mind and make it a point to never apologize. This often gets you in trouble but you don’t really mind. The people in your life who love you the most know this is just how you are and they respect your honesty. You’re the friend everyone comes to first when dealing with tough situations because they know you won’t sugarcoat anything. You wouldn’t do it to your coffee so you surely wouldn’t do it to your best friend in need of a wake up call.

11. Iced Coffee

Like our friend the cold brew drinker, you cherish moments spent in nature but you have a more basic style. You prefer leggings to skinny jeans any day, always have a beanie on your head, and always have your tumbler full of iced coffee in hand. You are more passionate about your extracurriculars than your classes except for a select few and have a strong bond with your close friends no matter how far away they may travel.

12. Secret Menu Drink

You’re a wild card. You like going on adventures whether it’s nearby town or a whole other country. You are always looking for the next big thing and pride yourself on being ahead of the curve and are entirely unique. Just like your clothes, you’re always trying different types of coffee and truly cherish the thrill of the hunt.

13. Dutch Bros 911

The Dutch Bros 911 if you’re unaware is a powerful punch to the gut of irish cream and 6 shots of espresso. It’s not for the weak of heart and you of course already know this. Before noon on a regular day you’ve already worked a 3 hour shift, gone to class, and had a meeting with your adviser and you’re just getting started. You’re an extremely hard worker who always gets their homework done early and never shows up to work late. You’re the president of one club, vice president of another, and you’re on a sports team to boot. You’ve got no time for messing around in your life and you hold those around you to the same standard.

14. Insert Absurdly Specific Drink Order here

You’re an absolute diva coming close to Mariah Carey levels of crazy. You like your coffee like you like your haircut, your nails, and home. Meticulously done and without any error. You’re all about appearance and being in control and break down only very rarely.

15. Irish Coffee

You’re a total party girl who when not dancing atop a table, drink in hand, is recovering from the epic hangover that results from these epic nights. Irish coffee is your choice for the night of and the morning after, as the coffee keeps you awake and the whiskey makes you want to just keep dancing.

16. Decaf Coffee

You’re one of those people who either likes coffee just for the taste or doesn’t want to look like the odd one out on a coffee shop date. You’re most likely a tea drinker when you’re not drinking decaf coffee, a total health food nut, and you basically live at the gym.

What’s your coffee drink of choice?

Madeline is a Senior at Oregon State majoring in Merchandising Management and minoring in writing. She was the 2016-'17 president of Chi Theta Phi, a local design sorority on campus. If she's not in class, at a club meeting, chapter, or writing, she's probably spending time with her family, friends, walking her dogs, eating junk food, or watching too many crime, comedy, or fashion shows on Netflix. She likes cheese, dogs, creative projects, obnoxious animal prints, garage sales, farmer's markets, and generally just being silly.