Campus Celebrity: Dancing Mike

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

Photo by Warner Strausbaugh, The Daily Barometer

If you don’t know who the iconic Dancing Mike is, then do you really live in Corvallis?! He is famous for dancing the streets of Corvallis and for making the campus a brighter place. Read on below to get to know our very own Dancing Mike!

Her Campus at Oregon State: What is your real name, and where are you from?

Dancing Mike: My real name is Michael Ambrosius, and I am from Lawton, Oklahoma.

Her Campus at Oregon State:  How did you stumble upon Corvallis? Why did your journey stop here?

Dancing Mike: I started my journey in Latin, and then I moved to New Mexico, and now I am here. Actually, I came here for my sister Tammy to get away from my Dad, who is in Texas. My journey stopped here because my son, Toron was born.

Her Campus at Oregon State:  How did you get the name Dancing Mike? Where did it originate? How did you get so popular?

Dancing Mike: Well, because Mike is my nickname. I started dancing the streets of Corvallis when my son was 13, and people just got used to it. I think I got popular because I encourage people to get out of their shell and to slow down and just enjoy life. I also love to give advice to people, especially students.

Her Campus at Oregon State: What has been your favorite experience so far on campus?

Dancing Mike: All of it!

Her Campus at Oregon State: Many students think you are iconic. How does that make you feel?

Dancing Mike: I’m just a human being, and I am no better than anyone else. It’s very humbling.

Her Campus at Oregon State: Why do you think many people look up to you? What qualities do you have that make you a quality person?

Dancing Mike: It’s a combination of my personality and dancing. I remember there was a power outage, and while everyone was freaking out because of papers and assignments, I just danced. It showed the students to just see the bright side of things, and that life isn’t over just because the lights went out. I think many people look up to me because I make them see the positive, instead of the bad. I also just generally care about people and want everyone to succeed. 

Her Campus at Oregon State: What has given you the positive outlook you have on life?

Dancing Mike: Raising a kid definitely has given me the positive outlook I have on life. It is life changing, and it is not how you picture it to be. It makes you want the world to be a lot better than what you are used to living.

Her Campus at Oregon State: What do you contribute to the OSU community?

Dancing Mike: I inspire people to live life. I also like to leave notes behind and post them around campus. I generally like to speak to everyone and just give advice on the matters of life.

Her Campus at Oregon State: How have OSU and its students changed and/or impacted your life?

Dancing Mike: I’ve learned from living in a college town that people come and go. I love when I see people after they have graduated, and they are successful, at peace with their life, and just overall happy!

The next time you see Dancing Mike around campus, be sure to stop him and say hello! Check back next week for another incredible Campus Celebrity!

I am a sophomore, from San Diego, California. I dream of New York City, after I graduate. I have a kitten named Walter.