Andi Dorfman’s Path to Perseverance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at OR State chapter.

The dictionary defines perseverance as, “steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state etc., especially in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement”. For Andi Dorfman, former assistant DA and contestant on the Bachelor and the Bachelorette, this character trait was her saving grace when it felt like everything around her was falling apart. She states that, “her decision to overcome was hard but perseverance was easy”. She is glad her timeline never came to fruition and shared with us at Her Conference her PATH towards perseverance so we too can find happiness.

1. Preparation

Andi spoke to the important point that education is your safety net. Education is a crucial part of career preparation so don’t ever think that your degree isn’t valuable. No matter what you study you are honing your craft and gaining important knowledge that will set you apart as a job candidate. Andi persevered and when her classmates were kicking up their heels on the beach after law school she volunteered her time at a district attorney’s office and later got hired there in the Atlanta gang unit. She now knows she can always rely on her educational experience and go back to her former career as an assistant DA.

2. Adaptation

Change is scary but it happens to everyone. Andi went from a career as an assistant DA to a reality tv contestant to a published author so she knows more than anyone that you never know where life will take you. All you can do is embrace change, have fun, and always be on the lookout for new opportunities.

3. Tribulations

Andi stresses that tribulations shouldn’t be viewed as permanent mistakes but instead as stepping stones and lessons learned. Tribulations happen to everyone and all you can do is keep working hard to become the best you that you can be.

4. Happiness

Andi stresses that happiness is not about what it looks like on the outside but what it feels like for you. This can be hard to remember in the era of FOMO and keeping up appearances but happiness is truly different for everyone. As Andi states, “she’s living in New York City and single while her friends are all living in the south, married, and with babies and they’re all happy in their respective lives”.

To learn more about her personal journey check out Andi’s latest book, “It’s Not Okay” and if you haven’t already get caught up on her season of the Bachelor and the Bachelorette.

Madeline is a Senior at Oregon State majoring in Merchandising Management and minoring in writing. She was the 2016-'17 president of Chi Theta Phi, a local design sorority on campus. If she's not in class, at a club meeting, chapter, or writing, she's probably spending time with her family, friends, walking her dogs, eating junk food, or watching too many crime, comedy, or fashion shows on Netflix. She likes cheese, dogs, creative projects, obnoxious animal prints, garage sales, farmer's markets, and generally just being silly.