Winter Skincare Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

As much as we don’t want to admit it, winter is fast approaching. In Oneonta, that makes for below-freezing temperatures and some pretty brutal wind, which means the air is painfully dry. Winter weather does so much damage to our hair and skin, so I wanted to share my tips for protecting yourself for the next few months!

1. Moisturize:

This may seem obvious, but moisturizing your skin is more important than ever in the winter! Cold air strips all the moisture away from you, leaving your skin dry and cracked. Always put a moisturizer or facial oil on your face, even if you have oily skin. Use thick lotions at night, and always carry lip balm with you!

2. Masks:

Masks are a lifesaver, and I don’t just mean facemasks! In the winter, I also use foot masks, hand masks, and lip masks! They’re perfect for really locking in moisture and healing your poor skin.

3. Shorter Showers:

All anyone wants in the winter is a long, hot shower, but believe it or not, they’re actually very bad for your skin and hair. The hot water strips all of the natural moister from both your hair and skin, leaving your skin chapped and your hair frizzy and dry. Keep the showers as short as you can!

4. Water:

Your bladder may be full from all of the holiday flavored drinks at Starbucks, but your body needs water now more than ever! Swap out your latte for ice water to keep your skin fresh in the cold months to come.

5. Exfoliate:

Let’s face it, even if you do everything on this list, your skin will probably still punish you. To get rid of any flaky skin, use a salt or sugar scrub in the shower! There is nothing cute about dry flaky elbows!

6. Cover Yourself:

Even if you moisturize to capacity, going outside unprotected in the winter is guaranteed to destroy your skin and hair. Wear a scarf that can cover up your face, and hide your hair under a hat!

7. Hair Treatments:

I mentioned masks for your skin before, but hair masks are also amazing at protecting and correcting damage to your hair from the cold, dry air! Put one on while you watch your favorite Christmas movie then wash it out, or leave it in overnight and rinse in the morning for maximum impact.

8. Avoid Heat Products:

As if your hair wasn’t dry enough, adding heat will be a nightmare! Avoid heat styling whenever possible to protect your strands. It’ll probably be covered by a hat or hood most of the time anyway, so who cares if it’s a little crazy?

Are you prepared to protect your hair and skin from the evils of winter in Oneonta? Now’s the time to go stock up on all the $2 Walmart facemasks and Vaseline your heart can bear. Good luck!

Anna is a junior at SUNY Oneonta, studying Fashion Marketing and Computer Art. She hopes to turn these studies into a career in the fashion industry in New York City. Outside of writing for Her Campus, Anna spends her time obsessing over eyebrows, embroidering, and talking about her dogs.
Kenzie Negron is currently a senior in college studying at SUNY Oneonta to pursue her dream career of being a high school english teacher as well as a part time journalist. Kenzie is the proud Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Chapter at SUNY Oneonta. Kenzie is also the author of her own blog; http://sincerelykenz.com. In her spare time, Kenzie enjoys snowboarding, indulging in tacos, and hanging out with her friends. You can find out more information about Kenzie by following her on Twitter and Instagram (@kenzienegron).