Studying Abroad: Hidden Eats in Europe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Living abroad or visiting Europe can be a costly experience, especially when it comes to food. The trick is to make sure you’re only spending euros on the best restaurants around. Nothing is more upsetting than spending half of your weekly funds on a crappy meal! Stick to these affordable but delicious options when trotting around these European cities.

Ibiza, Spain: The Skinny Kitchen

The Skinny Kitchen was one of the finest establishments I ate at while in Ibiza. While the menu is on the pricier side, the food is unforgettable. Zucchini pasta with chicken meatballs topped with buffalo mozzarella was my meal of choice. The smoothies and bar drinks were out of this world! While in Ibiza, don’t only enjoy the partying lifestyle; stop at The Skinny Kitchen for the meal of your life!

Dublin, Ireland: Brother Hubbard

Dublin’s bar scene is one of the most fun in Europe, but even better is the pulled pork sandwich from Brother Hubbard. Take the Ha’penny Bridge across the River Liffey to this delicious sandwich that’s famous around Dublin. If you want one of your own don’t forget to make a reservation!

Barcelona, Spain: Brunch & Cake

This meal stopped me dead in my tracks. After a long night partying at Opium, I needed a meal to rejuvenate my soul. Although my food was served in hipster fashion – on a shovel, it was an amazing take on eggs benedict. The poached egg was rested on top of fresh turkey and a waffle injected with syrup. Cue mouth watering.

Berlin, Germany: White Trash Fast Food

Not only is the food at White Trash absolutely delicious, but the atmosphere is so unique and exciting. The restaurant looks like a trailer park with old furniture and mismatched silverware, but any negative preconceived notions disappear when the food arrives. This place is the epitome of Berlin; go and try for yourself!

Paris, France: L’Academie de la Biere

Paris has an infinite amount of amazing restaurants but this one is extra special. While you might think you need to spend the big bucks on muscles in the city of lights, right outside the Luxembourg Gardens you can find some of the best mussels in the city. Order a side of fries to dip in the delectable sauce.

Valencia, Spain: San Tommaso

As the third largest city in Spain, Valencia is not the most popular stop among study abroad students. Yet this city has so much to offer, especially in the dining category. San Tommaso is run by some of the best Italian chefs living in Spain. Make sure to try the porcini mushroom and truffle sauce…it still appears in my dreams to this day.

Edinburgh, Scotland: Mary’s Milk Bar

Some of the best ice cream I’ve ever had was just outside Edinburgh Castle. Mary’s Milk Bar delivers frozen treats that truly melt in your mouth. You can find this ice cream shop in a square with tons of other amazing dinner spots to pair with this tasty dessert.

Amsterdam, Netherlands: Baker’s & Roasters

Breakfast is a meal I hold close to my heart so believe me when I say that this was one of the best eggs benedict meals I’ve ever had the pleasure of eating. In contrast with Brunch & Cake, this is a much simpler take on eggs benny. Paired with a savory slice of bacon, the hollandaise and seasoned bread was out of this world.

Prague, Czech Republic: Yami Sushi House

While you wouldn’t expect to find some of the best sushi in Prague, you better believe this! The currency in the Czech Republic is the Koruna, which makes everything very affordable. I’m talking three-dollar Ubers for a ten-minute drive affordable, so go with the fanciest rolls you can find when visiting Yami Sushi House.

Be sure to try out these foods when traveling around Europe! You won’t be disappointed.

World Traveler, New Girl obsessed 21 year old from L.I.
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen