Real Talk: Weighted Blankets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

I’m sure you’ve seen at least one video on social media advertising a weighted blanket. In the videos, different people are snuggled up with them telling you they’re so amazing and beneficial to your health. Is this just good marketing or is it the truth? Here’s my experience.  

When I first discovered these blankets, I instantly knew I wanted one. I did some research to determine the weight recommendation based on my size, various sizes and colors, different materials, and the benefits to having one. The more research I did the higher my expectations became. I found that there were many different companies that sold them; there were even DIY tutorials. I also found they come in a wide variety of sizes, materials, colors, and weights which means there are many different options depending on your criteria.  The one thing they all had in common was the research behind them.  This has shown that the blankets promote higher quality sleep and help reduce stress and anxiety. As much as I wanted one, I was afraid it would not live up to my expectations. Turns out the first time I snuggled up with mine, it was everything I had imaged and more. 

Ultimately, it feels like a never-ending hug. The pressure created from the tiny beads is evenly distributed throughout the blanket and over your body. That being said depending on the weight they can be very heavy, especially when folded. When I received the package, there was information that came attached to it. The papers stated that it might take my body at least two weeks to adjust. I started using it when I was just sitting around, and eventually then moved to sleeping with it at night. At first it did feel heavy, but I have since adjusted. I have spent most of my nights tossing and turning since I was a little kid. Since I began sleeping with this blanket I find that the way I fall asleep at night is the way I wake up in the morning. I also sleep with my FitBit on which has confirmed that I spend a lot less time being restless during the night. This allows me to sleep deeply and feel rested and refreshed the next morning. 

Despite only having my blanket a few short weeks, I am a very satisfied owner. Note that weighted blankets are not for everyone, especially people with serious medical conditions. If you’re interested in buying one make sure you do research first and if you have concerns don’t hesitate to contact your doctor. Also, these opinions are my own and do not reflect HerCampus. 

HCXO, Shea

Shea Murphy

Oneonta '19

Shea is one of the Campus Correspondents for the HC Oneonta Chapter! Shea is a senior studying Biochemistry at Oneonta. She is a self-proclaimed photographer and loves spending time with her friends and family. When she's not in the lab or studying you can find her outside staying active and enjoying nature!
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen