An Open Letter to My Little Sister Graduating Middle School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Dear  Little Sis,

I’m not sure how the “baby” of the family is already graduating from middle school but it’s happening and time isn’t going to slow down just for us. With having a sister who’s five years younger than me, I never thought we would be as close as we are to today. Literally I don’t think we could get any closer! Even though you’re going into high school, then college after that, and then into the real world, you’re always going to be my “baby” sister. No matter how much you hate that name (lol). Having a little sister like you, who is still in middle school while I’m in college, has made me feel two things; really really old, and really really young. Seeing all your homework assignments and hearing about all the middle school “drama”, it feels like forever ago since I was in your shoes. You make me feel like too much of an adult! But other times you bring the silly and fun side out of me and we can laugh the same way we did when we were little kids. Sometimes I even forget our age gap and think you should be in college with me! But seriously, you have soooo much time left to be a kid, so please use it all up!

One of the advantages you get by having an older sister like me is I’ve experienced everything before you. Trust me, when you get to high school you’ll see it all. The cliques, the teachers you can’t stand, the peer pressure (which you’re not going to fall into, right??), and the boys who are cute for a little while but trust me they won’t be good enough for you. There are a lot of things going on there, and I can’t wait to go through it all with you! Well, through FaceTime, that is. No matter what problems you face in the next four years of your life, I’ll be here for you; and even if we have way different high school experiences please still come to me so I can listen. If I can give you any advice as you enter the big building I graduated from a year ago, it would be to stay true to who you are and don’t lose your silly/goofy personality that I love so much. A lot of people will act and dress a lot older than they actually are but trust me, there’s nothing cute about that. Remain true to who YOU are and let yourself mature at a natural rate. Lastly, being the protective older sister I am, I have to say this: If anyone along the way (boy or girl) hurts you, I promise you don’t need them in your life. They aren’t true friends. Take it from me; having a small amount of friends is better than having a lot of fake friends.

Even though you can drive me crazy like no other, you also make me so unbelievably happy. I love you with all my heart. Continue to do great things and stay true to who you are. I can’t wait to watch you grow up! And maybe when we’re both old and grown we can look back on this letter together. :)

Love,

Your forever friend

X0X0 Jess Carlson

Jess is from Albany, New York and is currently a sophmore at SUNY Oneonta studying psychology. in her free time she loves to dance, go to concerts, and write! Follow on instagram and twitter (@jess_carlson_)
Anna is a junior at SUNY Oneonta, studying Fashion Marketing and Computer Art. She hopes to turn these studies into a career in the fashion industry in New York City. Outside of writing for Her Campus, Anna spends her time obsessing over eyebrows, embroidering, and talking about her dogs.