An Open Letter To My Friend In A Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Dear_______________,

I would like to start off this letter by saying I am so incredibly happy for you. This isn’t a letter to tell you how unhappy or angry I am with you! This letter is the exact opposite of that. You’ve found a special someone who chose you back and who loves all of your quirks and imperfections. Who knows why that person actually decided to put themselves in a relationship with your crazy self but I’ll try not to question it. If only your girlfriend / boyfriend knew some of the things I knew about you. The inside jokes that make little sense even to us, the sloppy drunk moments, the seemingly endless car ride adventures, the daily hangouts in our dorms, and all of the other friendship moments that makes our relationship special. But now that you are in a relationship, there are a few things that I’d like you to know:

Let’s still hangout. You and me like old times:

Remember all of the times with just you and me? Now that you have your boyfriend / girlfriend to do things with, it’s still just me. Take some time out of your day to shoot me a text here and there. Let’s plan lunch or movie hangouts. Don’t forget about me, friend. Above all, please don’t replace me. When going into a relationship, it’s hard to see but your identity sometimes merges with your significant other. Not that I’m saying that that’s wrong in any way. Just don’t forget who you are and why we are friends. Don’t use your girlfriend / boyfriend to fill a void completely in which I partially have capacity. I know they may seem or be your “everything” but that doesn’t make me nothing. Take that time to spend with me. Our friendship may not be on a romantic level but that doesn’t make it any less significant. Invite me to hang out with you and just you, like old times. Let us still coexist and thrive together as friends.

Let me tag along with the two of you:

Okay so I don’t necessarily want to third wheel and be the cumin to your salt and pepper. But of course invite me to hang out with you and your bae sometimes. I will respect and try to get to know anyone who has chosen to be with you! However, if you are going to third wheel me, I’m cool with not coming along. Seriously, leave me at home in that case. I’d much rather have some downtime than be around you two making out. Public displays of affection are awesome and all but seriously? Leave that sexual tension out of the air while I’m around. I may be clueless on some levels but don’t make me uncomfortable.

Let me get to know your bae:

Also, let me get to know your significant other. I hope to become good friends if not best friends with him / her if I can! I’m sure the two of us have stuff in common. Especially making fun of you whenever we can. So sometimes, leave yourself at home. Anyone willing to invest themselves in my friend, is someone I want to be friends with. And who knows, maybe one day I want to be asked to be in your wedding party.

I’m always here for you:

Don’t ever feel like you can’t talk to me. You can talk to me about anything and everything as per usual. Now that you are in a relationship, I understand the tendency for us to stray. But I will do whatever I can to always be the best friend that I can be. I want to continue to be your cheerleader and be happy for you! I hope that when the time comes and I’m in a relationship, you’ll understand how I feel and be understanding on the other end. You are the sibling I never had and I still love you with all of my heart. Allow me to be here for you friend and let me embrace a new person into our lives with open arms.

Kathryn Fernandez is currently a junior at SUNY Oneonta. She is dual majoring in Music Industry and Mass Communications with a media concentration. Besides being an orientation leader for the school and the public relations chair for SUNY Oneonta's Ultimate Frisbee team, she is also a photographer, toast eater, book lover, inspired artist, and tea drinker. She's very excited to be a Chapter Advisor and a writer for the Her Campus community. Click on any of the links below to read Kathryn's articles. And If you would like to know more about her, check out her Twitter and Instagram @Kat8996.
Kenzie Negron is currently a senior in college studying at SUNY Oneonta to pursue her dream career of being a high school english teacher as well as a part time journalist. Kenzie is the proud Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Chapter at SUNY Oneonta. Kenzie is also the author of her own blog; http://sincerelykenz.com. In her spare time, Kenzie enjoys snowboarding, indulging in tacos, and hanging out with her friends. You can find out more information about Kenzie by following her on Twitter and Instagram (@kenzienegron).