My Experience Dating My Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

1) Getting to know your friend for who they are-

If you have ever had this experience like me, you might have gotten to know the person really well. My current boyfriend and I were friends for many years before we started to date. We have had many ranting sessions (mostly about me and the other boys I have dated) and he would tell me about things going on in his life in any particular moment, good or bad as well.

2) Developing feelings for your friend-

I started to get feelings for him pretty quickly, naturally this took me by surprise and I was honestly at first denying the feelings for him. I just kept thinking, “He’s just a really good guy, that’s why I am feeling like this.”

3) When everyone thinks you two are dating-

I have heard people say, “How can females and males “just be friends”.” When my boyfriend and I were just friends, we would get asked all the time if we were dating. As expected we would say no. My family and close friends even asked us as well, they might have assumed we had feelings for each other because we went to prom together, but we just went as friends.

4) Realizing you both have feelings for each other-

This part is probably scary for most people. In our case, we both claimed that our feelings went away after high school but in fact they didn’t go away at all. We found this out during one of our random rant sessions this past summer. We were talking and at this point I think we know each other well enough to not even say something is wrong but we just know from each other’s facial expressions. He knew something was going through my head that I didn’t want to say out loud. All of sudden I blurted out that my feeling never went away for him. In response to this, he said that he still has feelings for me too.

5) Figuring out how we should initiate being together-

We were very excited to be a thing! I kept thinking to myself, “ I can’t believe this is actually happening, I have had a crush on him for so long!” We told our friends that we were thinking about being together and once we thought it was the right time, we agreed that we would start dating as soon as possible.

6) FINALLY DATING!

Halloweekend, my boyfriend and a few other friends decided to celebrate with my roommates and I. I knew that we were probably going to be official by the end of the weekend but didn’t know when exactly he was going to ask me to be his girlfriend. It was right before everyone was going to get ready to go out that Friday night, he told me that he had something for me.  I had a gut feeling what it was. He got me a cake that said, “will you be the beauty to my beast?’ This was relevant to us because we were Beauty and the Beast for Halloween. Of course I said yes! It has been almost a month and I could not be happier dating my best friend!

Hi my name is Samara. I am a Senior here at Oneonta. I am a Child and Family Studies major. Hope you enjoy my articles!
Kenzie Negron is currently a senior in college studying at SUNY Oneonta to pursue her dream career of being a high school english teacher as well as a part time journalist. Kenzie is the proud Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Chapter at SUNY Oneonta. Kenzie is also the author of her own blog; http://sincerelykenz.com. In her spare time, Kenzie enjoys snowboarding, indulging in tacos, and hanging out with her friends. You can find out more information about Kenzie by following her on Twitter and Instagram (@kenzienegron).