Love Is In The Air

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Happy Valentine’s Day Oneonta! Hope everyone is enjoying this love-filled day with someone special. Here is a little history on how Valentine’s Day came to be:

Valentine’s Day is celebrated all over the world by millions of people, but the actual holiday originated from the martyrdom of a saint. Saint Valentine was murdered on February 14th between AD 269 and263. One of the reasons for his murder was thought to have been because of his willingness to marry Christian couples. “Being Christian was not a crime back then, but not worshiping the emperor was,” said John Benson, local chaplain. Benson said that while marrying Christian couples in church was frowned upon, in his personal opinion he thinks Valentine refused to honor the emperor and that was the main reason for his murder. Very little is known about the saint. He is buried outside of Rome, the specific location unknown.  Benson said it wasn’t until the late 1300s that people started relating the holiday to romantic affection. Many people now celebrate St. Valentine’s Day, not as a religious holiday, but as a way to celebrate loved ones. Valentine’s Day is often celebrated with the giving of chocolates, cards, and gifts showing affection towards one another.

Carrie Soltis is a fun-loving girl who is always in search of an adventure. For her, it’s the small things in life that matter most; whether it’s enjoying a backyard barbeque with friends, taking a spontaneous road trip in search of freedom, or just lounging around in a beach chair next to the ocean. When Carrie is not busy enjoying the pleasures of a nice sunny day, fiddling around with photography, or spending quality time with her favorite roommate, she can be found deep in her studies at SUNY Oneonta (class of 2011). Carrie is currently majoring in Communication Studies, with a minor in Advertising. Although one of her dreams is to become an events planner, Carrie’s ultimate desire is just to simply appreciate life for all it has to offer and never take a single moment for granted. Carrie aspires travel the world in hopes of acquiring a true gratitude for life.