Last Semester Feels

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Everyone keeps asking me, “Wow, you’re graduating! How does it feel?” It is difficult explaining how it feels knowing you’re about to close a chapter in your life and open another to actual adulthood. It’s bittersweet. Your last semester is just incredibly bittersweet. When the semester is over, you have to say goodbye to the place you’ve called home for years, and the friends that you now call family.

The other day I took a walk around campus and I went past the freshmen dorms. As I looked at Golding Hall, I couldn’t believe that over 2 years ago, I was moving to college for the first time. I had no idea what to expect, or if any of those expectations would be met. It’s honestly crazy to think how fast time goes by. I appreciate every day I have on this campus and the memories I made with people who mean so much to me.

I came to SUNY Oneonta in fall of 2014 and thought I would graduate after four years like everyone else. Last semester, however I found out I could graduate a whole year early because I would have my 122 credits by this May. I made the most difficult decision I’ve made so far, and decided to graduate early. The reason why it was so difficult was because it broke my heart knowing I would be leaving both a campus I’ve fallen in love with, and all the friends I’ve made here.

When you’re a senior in college, you go back to familiar feelings you had when you were graduating high school. Anxious for what the future holds, nervous if you will succeed or fail, scared to lose your friends, incredibly grateful for the memories you made, and excited for new opportunities. Like I said, it’s all very bittersweet and makes you grateful for the time you spent at college.

I think the scariest part about graduating is figuring out what to do afterwards. For me, it was deciding on applying for jobs or applying to graduate schools. I decided I love studying Communications and didn’t want to stop my studies in the field. I ended up applying and thankfully got accepted to graduate school. It’s such a relief knowing what my plans are after graduation, but I also definitely understand the stress of not knowing what the heck you’re going to do afterwards.

I love my school, I love my friends, and I love my major. I am so grateful for the support of my family and friends. Graduating in May still seems unreal but I know it will be here before I know it. That’s why I appreciate every day on this campus and I’m going to make every moment count.

-Barbara Parsons

Barbara Parsons is a previous writer of HC Oneonta, and is now an alumni of SUNY Oneonta. Barbara loves playing rugby, Chinese food, binge-watching How I Met Your Mother, and baby emperor penguins. You can follow Barbara on Twitter and Instagram @BarbaraJoyce3
Anna is a junior at SUNY Oneonta, studying Fashion Marketing and Computer Art. She hopes to turn these studies into a career in the fashion industry in New York City. Outside of writing for Her Campus, Anna spends her time obsessing over eyebrows, embroidering, and talking about her dogs.