How to Get Healthy and Happy (and Stay That Way!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Emotional wellness and physical wellness go hand in hand, especially in college! It’s super important to find balance in your everyday life, and can make you feel overall happier and healthier. Here are some simple steps in ways you can become this improved version of yourself.

Make time for physical activity!

For clarification, dragging yourself inside a smelly gym for an hour isn’t the only way exercise can be a part of your daily life. Grab a fun workout video, a few friends and get moving! Sign up for a Pilates or Yoga class, or join a club sports team, which can be an awesome way to meet new people while you’re burning off those calories you consumed at Jimmy T’s this weekend.

Make sure your brain is happy too!

Class to class, one assignment to the next, we lose track of how much our brain is overworking itself. When you don’t take time to reflect on the day, or what is making you feel a certain way, we become aggressive and frustrated. These emotions can effect relationships, sleep patterns, and weight gain/loss. There are ways around this! (Try downloading Mindfulness on your smartphone). Yoga and Tai Chi have been proven to lower blood pressure and stress levels, and keep them down. Go to a quiet place, write in a journal or read a good book.

Get involved!

Meeting new people and experiencing new environments is an essential for staying sane in college. Not leaving your dorm room, and not going to campus events and club meetings will make you end up feeling very disconnected from your surroundings. Take advantage of all the opportunities Oneonta has to offer and put yourself out there! Being a part of a team, club, or group gives you a sense of belonging, and who doesn’t want that?

Student at SUNY Oneonta. Dog lover. Coffee Drinker.
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen