Goal Digging: Spring ‘16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

GOALS! Whether big or small, we all have them. Setting goals for yourself is so very important, in order to have something to work toward. It is even more important to make sure your goals are realistic. Having just a few short goals can lead to a super successful semester.

Here’s a list of 5 goals every college student should set for spring 2016:

FAMILY –Being busy college students, sometimes we forget to check in with family back home. It is important for us to keep in touch and let our family know what is going on in our lives. Call your Dad, thank him for being so supportive. Call your Grandma, tell her you miss her (and her home cooked meals). Something so little could make someone’s day. Your family loves you and they want to hear from you.

GRADES – Schoolwork? Oh yeah, the reason we even go to college in the first place. We all dream of getting the glorious 4.0, but then again, we should make our goals realistic. One person’s goal could be to achieve dean’s list status, while another person’s goal could be to receive a 3.0. Both are awesome goals to have! The biggest thing is improvement. Each semester, your goal should be just to do better than the last semester. Additionally, a big piece of advice I would like to offer is – BUY AN AGENDA! USE IT EVERYDAY! It is literally a lifesaver. I promise you won’t regret it. Time management is the actual key to success.

NO STRESS – College can definitely be full of stress. Trying to find a way to balance everything can drive you crazy. Before anything else, make sure to take care of yourself. Eat healthy, get sleep, and maybe even hit up the gym. Do your best to make sure you find time for friends. Be sure to talk about your problems, instead of holding them in. Don’t let a boy ruin your mood. Eat a pint of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream by yourself. Take a yoga class, do a facemask. Treat yo’self. Find time to relax and reflect. Spend a night in once in a while, because sometimes that can be even more fun than going out. All of these ideas can play a significant role in maintaining your sanity throughout your college years.

EXTRACURRICULARS – Find something new. Create. Discover. Join a club you would have never imagined yourself being in. You’ll learn something different and exciting, guaranteed. You’ll even make some new friends. Join a sports team or a Greek organization.  Maybe even run for an e-board position. This will open up your eyes to things you’ve never seen before. The more involved you are, the easier it will be to find your passion. Don’t be afraid to step up and be a part of something amazing!

FUTURE – Little things can be a HUGE help to your future self. Get a cool new job that relates to your major or even land an internship. Maybe something as little as tidying up your social media accounts would be helpful. Make sure there’s nothing attached to your name that would prevent you from getting a job after college. Doing any, or all, of these things can have such a positive impact on your future.

Make this semester your greatest one yet. Be sure to set your goals for the spring 2016 semester and follow through with them. Who doesn’t like feeling a sense of accomplishment?! BEST OF LUCK XO!

I'm a junior education major, from the east end of Long Island. I like the beach, coffee, and J.Crew. "to live would be an awfully big adventure"
Kenzie Negron is currently a senior in college studying at SUNY Oneonta to pursue her dream career of being a high school english teacher as well as a part time journalist. Kenzie is the proud Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Chapter at SUNY Oneonta. Kenzie is also the author of her own blog; http://sincerelykenz.com. In her spare time, Kenzie enjoys snowboarding, indulging in tacos, and hanging out with her friends. You can find out more information about Kenzie by following her on Twitter and Instagram (@kenzienegron).