Everybody’s Buddy: Darrel Persaud

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Bronx, New York

Why did you choose SUNY Oneonta?

When I was applying for schools I was torn between a private school and Oneonta. My friend who went to that private school said it was too expensive and wasn’t worth the future student debt. So I looked more into Oneonta and realized I could dual major in computer art and mass communications, which is really cool. I decided without visiting beforehand, took a chance and fell in love with the campus. It’s such a different environment from the city!

How are you involved on campus?

I am involved in a plethora of student clubs and activities. I’m in film club and I’m an SA senator, with a bunch of clubs and committees that go along with my position. Along with that I’m an RA in Hulburt hall and run the hall government committee and I’m also involved as a brother of Phi Kappa Psi.

Why did you join greek life?

I always knew I wanted to get myself involved with college life as much as I could. I thought about greek life but was unsure if I would fit into the lifestyle. It wasn’t until I met the brothers at Phi Kappa Psi that I realized I wanted to become a part of the brotherhood.

What do you enjoy most about your brothers?

Knowing there’s people there for you as brothers, mentors, friends, and overall just someone to listen to you.  It means everything to me. It’s a nice and reassuring feeling that people care about you just as much you care about them… and to me that’s brotherhood.

You’re such a big influence as a student leader on campus. How has that responsibility changed you?

Coming to college was like starting all over again. Being involved on campus gives you opportunities to be able to meet and experience so many different things with so many different people. Being a leader is about knowing yourself and how you can be a positive influence in someone’s life. It’s made me so appreciative of the opportunity I’ve had to attend college.

Now for some fun questions. What is your favorite thing about the holiday season?

I love to go ice skating at Bryant Park in the city, building snowmen, and just celebrating the overall feeling of being back together with my friends and family.

Want to know more about this week’s Campus Celeb? Follow him on Instagram at @harrodarro

xoBarbara Parsons

Barbara Parsons is a previous writer of HC Oneonta, and is now an alumni of SUNY Oneonta. Barbara loves playing rugby, Chinese food, binge-watching How I Met Your Mother, and baby emperor penguins. You can follow Barbara on Twitter and Instagram @BarbaraJoyce3
Kenzie Negron is currently a senior in college studying at SUNY Oneonta to pursue her dream career of being a high school english teacher as well as a part time journalist. Kenzie is the proud Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Chapter at SUNY Oneonta. Kenzie is also the author of her own blog; http://sincerelykenz.com. In her spare time, Kenzie enjoys snowboarding, indulging in tacos, and hanging out with her friends. You can find out more information about Kenzie by following her on Twitter and Instagram (@kenzienegron).