Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Oneonta Celebrities

Chancellor to Discuss SUNY's Role in Regional Economy with Business Leaders at SUCO

By Tiina Lusi
May 17, 2011 - 12:37am

State University of New York Chancellor Nancy L. Zimpher will speak before the chambers of commerce from Otsego, Delaware, Schoharie and Chenango counties at a special meeting hosted by SUNY Oneonta on May 25. Attendees of the event, called an Economic Development Summit Luncheon, will hear about SUNY’s vision to invigorate New York. The luncheon will feature a panel discussion regarding economic development, which is the central goal of the state university’s strategic plan. Announced last April, “The Power of SUNY,” charts a course for public higher education that calls for strengthening relationships between businesses and campuses statewide. READ MORE...

Princeton Review Names SUCO to "GREEN" Colleges Guide

By Tiina Lusi
May 9, 2011 - 12:00am

For the second consecutive year, the Princeton Review has included SUNY Oneonta on its list of colleges that demonstrate astrong commitment to sustainability in their academic offerings, campus infrastructure, activities, and career preparation. Its 2011 “Guide to 311 Green Colleges” recognizes 308 American and 3 Canadian institutions of higher education. In describing SUNY Oneonta, the Princeton Review highlighted the college’s adherence to green construction standards, the programs of the Biological Field Station in Cooperstown, and the recycling and sustainability efforts of Oneonta Auxiliary Services. READ MORE

SUCO Biology Students Receive Departmental Honors

By Tiina Lusi
May 2, 2011 - 12:00am

The SUNY Oneonta Biology Department faculty honored several students for outstanding scholarship at a gathering on campus on April 4. Michael O’Rourke of Fort Edward, New York received the Jan Kee Ang Memorial Award for his outstanding academic performance as a senior biology major. Daniel McLaren, a junior biology major from Troy, received the 2010-2011 Jan Kee Ang Scholarship. READ MORE

Dr. Robert Compton to Receive Smith Prize for Academic Excellence

By Tiina Lusi
April 25, 2011 - 12:00am

Dr. Robert W. Compton, associate professor of Africana & Latino Studies and Political Science at SUNY Oneonta, has been awarded the college’s 2011 Susan Sutton Smith Prize for Academic Excellence. Dr. Compton will deliver the 17th annual Susan Sutton Smith Lecture, a presentation entitled “Mad Scramble for Africa: Is China Winning and the US Losing?” on Thursday, May 5, at 7 p.m. in the Craven Lounge of Morris Conference Center. Admission is complimentary, and members of the community are invited to attend the presentation. READ MORE

Legendary Trumpeter, Ray Vega, Stopped by to Highlight 2nd Annual SUCO Jazz Festival

By Tiina Lusi
April 11, 2011 - 12:00am

Legendary trumpeter Ray Vega was a featured guest at the second annual Oneonta Jazz Festival at SUNY Oneonta on Saturday, April 9, in the Hunt College Union. The festival closed with a concert by Vega, accompanied by the SUNY Oneonta Jazz Orchestra and a rhythm section made up of SUNY Oneonta alumni, at 4:15 p.m. in the Hunt Union Ballroom. READ MORE

Nutrition and Dietetics Professor Receives Regional Recognition

By Tiina Lusi
April 2, 2011 - 7:25pm

The American Dietetic Association has named Jennifer Bueche, director of the SUNY Oneonta Nutrition and Dietetics program, its regional Outstanding Educator within the Northeast. The award acknowledges Bueche for excellence as a dietetic internship director among peers in an area encompassing Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New York, and New Jersey. "Dr. Bueche has worked extremely hard," said Interim Dean of Behavioral and Applied Science Dr. Alex Thomas. "This award is a great honor for her and for the Nutrition and Dietetics program." READ MORE

Director of the Academy-Award-nominated film "Gasland", Josh Fox to highlight Green Dragon Week!

By Tiina Lusi
March 28, 2011 - 12:00am

A screening of the documentary “Gasland” and a talk by Josh Fox, director of the Academy-Award-nominated film on natural gas drilling, will highlight “Green Dragon Week 2011” in the annual tribute to environmental awareness at SUNY Oneonta. “Gasland” will be shown at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, April 27, in the Hunt Union Ballroom on campus, and Fox’s talk will follow at 8:30 p.m. Admission to both events is complimentary, and members of the community are invited to attend. READ MORE

FOUR SUCO Students to Receive Chancellor's Award

By Tiina Lusi
March 21, 2011 - 12:00am

Four SUNY Oneonta students are among a select group of State University of New York students chosen to receive the 2011 SUNY Chancellor's Award for Student Excellence. SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher will present the awards to the students at a reception in their honor on April 5 at the Empire State Plaza Convention Center in Albany. READ MORE

American Chemical Society Presents Sustainability in Education Award to SUCO Chemist

By Tiina Lusi
March 14, 2011 - 1:00am

Dr. Jacqueline Bennett, associate professor of chemistry and biochemistry at SUNY Oneonta, has been selected as a recipient of the 2011 Award for Incorporating Sustainability into Chemistry Education presented by the American Chemical Society’s Committee on Environmental Improvement. She was recognized for her work on developing a “green” imine synthesis as an authentic research experience for students in organic chemistry. Bennett will receive the award and present an invited talk about her work at the American Chemical Society’s 2011 spring national meeting later this month in Anaheim, California. READ MORE

Native American Poet, Heid Erdrich, Reading on Campus

By Tiina Lusi
March 7, 2011 - 12:00am

Native American poet Heid E. Erdrich will read from her work at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 3, in the Craven Lounge of the Morris Conference Center on campus. A book signing will follow the reading. Admission to the event is complimentary, and members of the community are invited to attend. READ MORE