Campus Celeb Kai Malik

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Major: Political Science and Communication Studies

Year: Senior

Hometown: Middletown, NY (Originally from Pakistan)

HC: What do you do as President of SA?

K: My job has a lot of components because I represent the entire student body, as well as the student government.  That’s about 5,000 people. So essentially my job is to gauge other’s experiences and speak on behalf of that.  It is definitely time consuming; just the time that I set aside for meetings could add up to 40 hours of my week. I interact with our school’s lawyers and the town of Oneonta, as well as being accountable when there are questions about Oh Fest, College Camp, and personal reserve issues.

HC: How has being involved in SA and being president of SA helped you grow as a person?

K: When I first joined as a freshman, I was happy-go-lucky, shy and not as mature.  I started as the VP of Activities and as a result of being influenced by others, I ran for President of SA.  They saw something in me that made them think that I needed to run.  I’ve learned through being a part of this organization that it is important to speak up in-spite of an unpopular opinion and to remain impartial.  I’ve also gained listening skills and patience.

HC: Future goals/career?

K: I want to work with Public Relations and lobbying, which is to work with politicians and try to sway their opinions in order to accomplish your goal or the goal of a body of people.  Specifically I’d like to work with education or corporate lobbying.

HC: What would you tell someone who would be interested in your position?

K: Don’t do it for the position.  Do it if you want to make a difference because this will give you the influence.  If you’re really passionate, you will have so many connections and opportunities.  It is definitely a worth-while experience and you will grow from it.  Don’t be discourage if you run and lose the first time, I lost when I first ran for VP of Activities.

HC: How do you manage your time?

K: Admittedly, my schedule is very packed and sometimes I don’t get to sleep (laughs).  To remind me about every little thing I have to do, I put it in a Google calendar and it will send me a reminder two days before I have a meeting.

HC: What are some of your hobbies?

K: I like to draw, you used to be able to find me drawing all the time.  I enjoy shopping and looking nice in general, and I also like when I get the chance to model in fashion shows.

HC: Is there anything else you’d like to tell me about you?

K: I’ve noticed that sometimes people tend to get intimidated by me, please don’t!  If you feel that way don’t be afraid to come up.  I have experience and knowledge to give you!

Emily is an editor and writer at Her Campus Oneonta. She is a sophomore and currently marjoring in English. You can always find her singing, dancing, but most of all, laughing.
Kenzie Negron is currently a senior in college studying at SUNY Oneonta to pursue her dream career of being a high school english teacher as well as a part time journalist. Kenzie is the proud Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Chapter at SUNY Oneonta. Kenzie is also the author of her own blog; http://sincerelykenz.com. In her spare time, Kenzie enjoys snowboarding, indulging in tacos, and hanging out with her friends. You can find out more information about Kenzie by following her on Twitter and Instagram (@kenzienegron).