Beauty Boosters: The Basics Pt. 4 - Blush, Bronzer, and Luminizer

Posted -

Last week, mother nature decided to grace me with the worst cold ever. I was sniffly mess, and I sure as hell didn't feel like caring about how I looked. That's when  someone asked in that sympathetic tone "Are you alright?" It was obvious then, that because of my cold most of the color in my face went away. I was sick, not dead, and I surely didn't want to look like a zombie (hey, those nerf darts can hurt!) So, I found a quick fix: blush. Blush is an easy way to ,in seconds, give your face life and a healthy glow. Today we will go over blush basics, as well as blush related products like luminizer and bronzer. But before we get to the good stuff, lets have a vocab lesson, shall we? 

- Apples: when someone says the "Apples of your cheeks" they mean the fullest part of your cheeks. You can find them by smiling in the mirror. This is where most of the color (or blood flow) in your 'blush' shows.

- Hollows: No, not the 'Deathly' kind silly! Just suck in your cheeks and make a fishy face. See those deep, sunken-in parts? Those are your hollows.

- Cheekbones: this is pretty self-explanatory. Cheekbones are the bony part slightly above your cheeks, and slightly below your eyes. Press your fingers into that area and you should be able to feel the bone.

Now on to the real tutorial!

Blush

Colors:

- For fair skin go for lighter pinks, Olive skin go for coral colors, and darker skin tones should try burgundy or wine colors. 

- Try to keep the colors lighter for the daytime and darker for a dramatic night look.  

- Be careful of super bright colors. They are wearable, but the trick is in the application. Use a bigger blush brush, blow off the excess, and sweep on sparingly (if the color is too concentrated in one place you could end up looking like a Barbie doll)

Application:

-Powder Blush is actually pretty easy, all you do is swirl the brush in the color, tap or blow the excess off, and then apply in a light sweeping motion. TIP: try not to buy too cheap of a brush; a lot of the time, the metal does not hold the fibers as well and you could end up having those little black brush hairs all over your face! As for the little tiny brushes you get in a compact? Throw 'em! They are too tiny to do any good, they end up making the blush look streaky. Medium to 'Kabuki' Sizes are best for brushes.

-Mousse or Cream Blushes you can use either a makeup sponge or your fingers to blend the blush in a circular motion; rub off any excess blush. 

-Stick Blush is very similar in application to mousse or cream blushes. For this type you want to use a sponge or your fingers, don't apply the stick directly because it can end up looking too heavy. 

-Liquid Blush/Tint are the hardest blushes to apply in my opinion because you have to be super quick with your application. Whether it is from a pump or a wand, apply the liquid in dots across your cheek. The trick is to be as quick as possible at rubbing it in because this type tends to dry fast. If you don't get it on time you could end up having streaks or little dot stains on your face (but that's what makeup wipes are for)

Also, makeup artists also suggest applying blush in a way that balances the natural shape of your face. For example:

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Luminizer

Colors

- Generally colors for luminizers don't matter too much because they are meant to be subtle. However, you can coordinate the colors depending on your blush color: for warm colors use a light gold, for cool colors use pink, and use white for either warm or cool colors

Application:

- Apply the same way you would with each type of blush (powder, cream, tick, etc). A good thing here, though, is that liquid luminizer is A LOT easier to use than liquid blush because it is shimmer (it will blend in more naturally)

- Luminizer typically goes on the tops of your cheekbones, a little on the middle of your forehead, a small line down the bridge of your nose, and a tiny bit on the point of your chin. Unless you are going out, luminizer should be subtle or you could run the risk or looking a bit shiny.

*By the way, E.L.F luminizer is the best cheap luminizer I have found. It has four colors (white, light pink, dark pink, and champagne) and is only $3 dollars! Such a steal! Its available over on eyeslipsface.com

Bronzer

Colors: 

-I know there is the temptation to look tan instantly, but really be careful with how dark you go for bronzer. With bronzer, we run into the same color as foundation, go too dark and the rest of your face won't match your body...and that's sorta not sexy. So, I would suggest only going one or two more shades darker than your natural skin tones. Also, try to stay away from bronzers with orange undertones because well, you are not an oompa loompa (or Snooki for that matter).

Application:

- Apply the same way you would with each type of blush (powder, cream, tick, etc) EXCEPT, you want to use a big, fluffy blush brush. As I mentioned with bright blush colors, the big brush will help spread the color out more, making the bronzer look more natural and less streaky.

-For bronzer, there is certainly no problem with applying it all over your face. You can also apply in the areas where the sun would most naturally hit your face. However, I prefer the 'E3' method for bronzer. The 'E3' is named for the shape that you make when applying the bronzer. Using an 'E' or '3' motion start at your temples then curve outward and into the hollows of your cheeks, then back out and onto the bottom of your jawline. 

Lookie here! I've made you a 'E3' diagram (bare with me and my bad attempts at drawing on the computer)

-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

The other lighter colors are optional places to apply bronzer (a bit on your top hairline, a little on the tip of the nose, and a little at the bottom of your chin)

So, now that we have those down, lets do another lesson...in math! Wait! Where are you going?! Its not as bad as it sounds! These are look equations!

Luminizer+Tinted Moisturizer= Natural Glow

Luminizer+Blush= Healthy Glow

Blush+Bronzer= 'I got some sun today!'

Bronzer+Tinted Moisturizer+Luminizer= Beach Bunny

Bronzer+Blush+Luminizer= Sexy Summer Glow

Well, that's all for today, so get glowing! (ahhh, I love bad puns ;D)

Get more HC!

Get the best of Her Campus, right in your inbox! Learn more.

About The Author

Editor's Note

From Around The Web

We Recommend

User login