This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Walt Disney Picture’s “Beauty and the Beast” arrived in theatres on March 17, 2017. This musical directed by Bill Condon has already made $174,750,616.00 in box office revenues. Disney’s animated “Beauty and the Beast” hit theaters on November 22, 1991. The 2017 remake was highly successful at preserving parts of the original film, while also adding in new songs and ideas to appeal to a more modern audience.

Emma Watson did a stunning job taking on the character of Bell, who is full of independence, fearlessness, and knowledge. Even when it came down to the music, Watson could beautifully perform songs such as the classic “Little Town.” She lived up to the expectation of Bell to inspire audiences to believe that the people who are perceived as odd or different end up being trendsetters. Dan Stevens, who plays the Beast/prince, puts on an equally extraordinary performance. One of his most memorable moments was when he sang “For Evermore.” There was so much emotion put into this song, and it emphasized the Beast’s love for Bell.

It was intriguing that this new film incorporated historical accuracy, a feature that the animated film lacked. This year’s “Beauty and the Beast” corrected a mistake that was made in the animated 1991 version. During the song “Be Our Guest,” an image of the Eiffel Tower is shown in the animated version. Technically this should not have happened because the Eiffel Tower was not completed at the time in which Bell was in the castle.

The movie also touched upon important controversies that existed in France at the time in which the movie was set. Some of these controversies include teaching women how to read, and whether a woman could decide whom she gets to marry. Throughout the movie, Bell is judged because of her ability to read and her desire to teach other girls to. Her ability to surpass these obstacles continues to inspire women, even within our contemporary society.

This is truly a film for audiences of all ages. Make sure to stop by the Southside Cinema to see a new perspective on this childhood classic!

Michelle is a junior at SUNY Oneonta, studying Mass Communications.
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen