April’s First Campus Celeb: Kelly Taurisano

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

Year: Sophomore

Major: Criminal justice / psychology

Hometown: Lake Grove

Favorite food: Mallomars

Why did you decide to come to SUNY Oneonta?

I saw it on SUNY Party Stories, honestly. Also my brother came here.

Why did you decide to double major?

I want to be a criminal psychologist, and there isn’t a criminal psychology program here, so I figured I’d do both! I want to be like Dr. Huang on Law & Order SVU.

What are your plans after graduating from SUNY Oneonta?

I want to go to John Jay College of Criminal Justice to get a Master’s degree in Criminal Psychology. I want to work in prisons and with police departments, but I’ll most likely work in a court. In a prison, I’d be a psychologist for criminals to better understand their actions. In a court, I’d work in family cases, or I’d help determine if a prisoner is ready to be let out.

You still have half of your time left here- is there anything you would change about the school if you could?

I’d petition to turn the heat off in Schumacher when it’s hot out. First off, they set the heat to Hell, and when you walk into the building it’s like walking into Jimmy T’s. I’d also make the steps shorter outside the building. And in the dining halls, I’d have less sundried tomatoes in the pasta, and more pepper jack cheese in general.

Is there anything about this school that you wouldn’t ever want to change?

I like the F’real machine a lot, and the garlic knots at Mills. I wouldn’t change Chef Donna either. And I like how clubs give out free T-shirts because I’m not trying to spend money at the book store. I like any free apparel, or cups. Or pens.

Finally, what are you going to binge-watch for the rest of the semester?

I have a really bad habit of liking shows that are “junior”. Like master chef junior. Now I’m watching One Tree Hill to replace binge watching Degrassi. My taste in TV shows is obsessive, and the more other people hate the show I’m watching, the more I’m going to watch it.

Melanie is currently a sophomore studying Human Biology at SUNY Oneonta, and looking to pick up an anthropology minor. Her next big step in life is to move to New York City to attend graduate school where she can continue her education of humans and other cultures. She has a passion for learning about different people and lifestyles around the world, which drives her writing for Her Campus. In her free time she loves to read books by Jodi Picoult, relax on the beach, cook for her family, and of course, write.
Kenzie Negron is currently a senior in college studying at SUNY Oneonta to pursue her dream career of being a high school english teacher as well as a part time journalist. Kenzie is the proud Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Chapter at SUNY Oneonta. Kenzie is also the author of her own blog; http://sincerelykenz.com. In her spare time, Kenzie enjoys snowboarding, indulging in tacos, and hanging out with her friends. You can find out more information about Kenzie by following her on Twitter and Instagram (@kenzienegron).