5 TIPS FOR STAYING FIT IN COLLEGE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

1)    Join The Gym:

There is no excuse why everyone can’t do this! The gym is free for anyone who takes the test online. There are two gyms on campus, Chase and Alumni, so if your excuse is that Alumni is too far of a walk, think again! Chase is located in the middle of campus and totally on your way back from class.  Most residence halls even have a gym of their own. So on the days that it’s too much of a hike to get to the real gym, head downstairs and make the most of your work out! Also, if all the heavy-lifters and confusing machines intimidate you too much, the gym also offers group workout classes to help you stay in shape!

2)    Use Your Environment:

Running around Oneonta’s hilly campus could be a pain in the wintertime when everything is iced over. But while it’s still over 30 degrees, use it to your advantage. A simple run around the perimeter, or even through campus will be sure to help you stay in shape. The hills make it more challenging and fun! If un-even ground is not your thing, we additionally have a fine-looking track and an indoor track too! So I don’t want to hear any, “No, it’s too cold!” excuses. Also, never think your room is too small for a quick work out. Just grab a yoga matt and follow some free online videos or even buy a couple videos to play on you laptop or TV.     

3)    SODEXO more like SODEX-NO:

Yes, we all know that we must eat all of our meals at the dreaded SODEXO. But, guess what? You could make good choices! You just have to put in a little more effort. Instead of going straight to the French fries and mac and cheese, make the most of what is being offered. Personally, my go-to meal would be asking for a black bean or a turkey burger specially made. I’d then add seasoning and ask for fresh mozzarella from the sandwich station. Then, I would top it off with the balsamic from the salad station and ask for sautéed mushrooms and spinach from the omelet station, with no egg, for the side dish! You will be amazed at what you could do with what the “horrible” SODEXO offers. The premade meals may not be the best for you, and even though its called “vegan,” doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s healthy. Yet as I demonstrated, it is not hard to create meals that are suitable for your new healthy life-style. Never forget about the My Kitchen option either, where you could cook your own healthy and delicious meal. Just watch what you are eating in the dining hall and remember that there is never an excuse not to make the greatest and healthiest decisions… Except for maybe chicken tender day, you could always cheat sometimes ;)

4)    Make A Routine:

Honestly we all know that the hardest part about going to the gym is just getting there.  I know a lot of people say that once they get to the gym they will have a great workout, but their main problem is turning off Netflix and going.  Making a routine is an important part of this. Try to look at your schedule and add in time for the gym, as if it were another class. If you have a couple of hours to spare in between your classes, use that time wisely! Go to the gym and get in a quick workout and shower before your next lecture, instead of plopping on your futon and eating the snacks that came in your last care package. If you don’t want to ruin your cute outfit by showering mid day, act as if you have a night class, and get to the gym after you eat dinner and right before bed. If you think you don’t have time, you are probably wrong. You always have a little bit of free time to work out! (Unless its finals week or your 8 page paper is due first thing in the morning). There will always be times where it feels nearly impossible to get to the gym or keep a healthy diet. But most of the time you just have to simply assess where your extra time is going throughout the day, and make some changes.

5)    It’s The Little Things:

Little things go a long way! So, instead of getting a Frappuccino when you are at the campus Starbucks, go with a skinny vanilla latte or a regular coffee to save up on the calories. Walk as much as you can. The bus is of course convenient, but while the weather is still nice, why not gather up some extra steps by walking to your destinations? Try to take the stairs as much as possible and take the long route to campus. And, if all your roommates want to order in one night, try suggesting some place where you could get a healthier option rather than a cold cheese slice!

People always say that the freshman 15 is inevitable, or that it is impossible to live a healthy life-style in college, but I say they are wrong. It could be difficult at times, but it’s never impossible. If you are willing to make some small changes in your life you will be on your way to an improved life style in no time.

Sophia Pinciotto is a Junior at SUNY Oneonta studying Communications and minoring in public relations. Sophia was born and raised on Long Island and loves to workout, sing, and write!
Kenzie Negron is currently a senior in college studying at SUNY Oneonta to pursue her dream career of being a high school english teacher as well as a part time journalist. Kenzie is the proud Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Chapter at SUNY Oneonta. Kenzie is also the author of her own blog; http://sincerelykenz.com. In her spare time, Kenzie enjoys snowboarding, indulging in tacos, and hanging out with her friends. You can find out more information about Kenzie by following her on Twitter and Instagram (@kenzienegron).