5 Things You Must Do Before Winter Arrives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Oneonta chapter.

As we all know, the winters here in Oneonta can be pretty brutal. The freezing temperatures provide us college kids with the perfect excuse to stay in bed and relax all day. However, winter is not here just yet and there are still many opportunities to adventure outside. Listed below are some fun ideas in our area to go take advantage of before winter sneaks up on us.

1. Glimmerglass State Park – Cooperstown, NY

This 593-acre state park is located on Glimmerglass Lake. This park’s various hiking options lead you to breathtaking views. Here, you get the chance to walk over the oldest covered bridge in New York. If hiking is not your thing, grab some lunch on Main Street in Cooperstown and bring it over to the lake for a picnic. Your trip to Cooperstown won’t be complete unless you spend some time at Glimmerglass.  

2. Oneonta Farmer’s Market – Oneonta, NY

The outdoor farmers market is located on Main Street in Oneonta. It is open every Saturday until the end of October from 9am – 1pm. Once November begins, the farmers market moves inside into the walkway to Main Street. You can find great local fruits, vegetables, meats and more. These appetizing farm-fresh foods are offered at a great price and sold in a convenient location. Be sure to check it out!

3. Vroman’s Nose – Middleburgh, NY

Going for a sunset stroll at Vroman’s is something that should be on everyone’s bucket list. Considered one of the more popular hiking spots in upstate New York, this is a short hike that leads you to relaxing views over the valley. During your 4 years spent here at Oneonta State, you certainly don’t want to miss an opportunity to visit Vroman’s.

4. Audubon Society – Oneonta, NY

Did you know that we have an Audubon right here in Oneonta? Audubon’s mission is to conserve natural ecosystems for the benefit of humanity. You could visit the Audubon to do some bird watching or just to relax and enjoy the outdoors. There are also a bunch of walking trails and good views, so if you ever need a place to get away for a few hours – this is definitely a great spot!

5. Middlefield Orchard – Cooperstown, NY

Autumn is the best time to go apple picking, and Middlefield Orchard is the perfect place to do it. Besides apples, this orchard provides opportunities to pick pumpkins, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries as well. Additionally, you can purchase fresh baked goods and homemade jams. Besides all of that yummy food, there’s a corn maze and a pumpkin patch, the perfect backdrops for your fall themed instagram post. So go grab a pumpkin spice latte and head out to Middlefield Orchard for a day filled with cliché fall activities!

I'm a junior education major, from the east end of Long Island. I like the beach, coffee, and J.Crew. "to live would be an awfully big adventure"
Hey everyone! My name is Callan Fridgen, and I'm a junior at Oneonta State studying Communications with a minor in Public Relations. Find me on Instagram @callanfridgen